With business becoming increasingly more global and complex, you need a partner that fully understands Canadian competition law and how it applies internationally. BLG’s Competition and Foreign Investment Review Group provides advice to clients on all aspects of the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act; from obtaining approval of major transactions to navigating complex criminal investigations and everything in between. The Group offers unique insight to clients as a result of having acted on a number of matters for the Attorney General of Canada and the Commissioner of Competition.
We can provide you with bilingual advice and representation for a range of situations, including:
- Navigating the Bureau’s merger review process for complex M&A transactions.
- Handling pre-notification merger filings and obtaining advance ruling certificates.
- Providing advice on competition concerns triggered by a range of commercial arrangements such as joint ventures, distribution arrangements, exclusivity deals and vertical integration.
- Appearing before all civil courts and governmental boards for issues under the Competition Act related to damages from unfair competition.
- Navigating international anti-trust criminal investigations; defending corporations and individuals from criminal competition offences and related offences, including fraud, corruption, bribery, etc.
- Dealing with unanticipated criminal procedures such as search warrants, section 11 inquiries, and “dawn raids.”
- Providing advice with respect to advertising, promotional contests, pricing and marketing practices.
We have made submissions on competition law matters before various Canadian Parliamentary Committees, such as the Senate Standing Committee on Transport, as well as the Competition Commission in the United Kingdom. Members of the Group were also extensively involved in proposing, consulting and assisting in the implementation of the 2009 amendments to the Competition Act.