Throughout the year, BLG professionals, staff, and students take an active role to support local charitable organizations and community groups.
- Toronto's not-for-profit food recovery program Second Harvest provides several million pounds of food annually through donations of fresh meats and produce, baked goods, and prepared foods to social service agencies that provide meals for Toronto's needy people. In support of this initiative, BLG employees bring lunches from home and donate the money they save to Second Harvest.
- BLG believes in helping children, especially those who require medical assistance and care. That's why we support the Hospital for Sick Children Foundation’s annual Wear Your Bear campaign.
- When Canadian John Davidson undertook his 8,300 km trek across Canada, he discovered an incredible compassion among Canadians who gave their time, their savings, and their hearts to Jesse's Journey, a loving tribute to John's son Jesse. Together, they raised millions of dollars for genetic research. In support of this tremendous act of courage, love and faith, we dedicated a Casual Day for Jesse. Donations were collected and matched dollar for dollar by the Canadian Institute of Health Research.
- BLG participates in the Canadian Blood Services annual Law Firm Challenge, a friendly competition among Toronto-based law firms encouraging employees to donate blood. This challenge is supported by the Toronto Law office Management Association and the Canadian Bar Association. Clinics are established across the city to facilitate participation. Over the past four years, BLG proudly ranked at the top.
- In memory of Terry Fox and his battle with cancer, BLG participates in the annual Terry Fox Foundation run supporting cancer research
- Through sponsorship and employee donations to the Pink Ribbon Campaign and the Run for the Cure, BLG supports Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and advancement of breast cancer research.
- Each year BLG Toronto plays an active role in helping the United Way Campaign, Greater Toronto Region raise funds for over 200 service agencies in Toronto. Activities at BLG include silent auctions, bake sales, casual days and much more.
- BLG’s Christmas Tree Trimming Party is held annually to decorate each of reception area with a Christmas tree. Everyone is encouraged to bring a new toy in support of the Salvation Army Annual Toy Drive. For those who do not have time to shop, a number of BLG Elves accept cash donations to purchase additional toys. This event gets the Firm in the Christmas spirit and provides a great opportunity to bring a smile to a child at Christmas time.
- The Women's Business Development Group at BLG Toronto hosts an annual Christmas Reception for clients in support of the Children's Aid Society Foundation Christmas for Kids Fund. To ensure children in our community receive a Christmas toy, guests are invited to bring a new, unwrapped toy for the Children's Aid Society.
- The BLG Foundation was created to raise funds and co-ordinate donations to registered Canadian charities in need of our support. The majority of donations are made to charitable, educational, cultural, and social initiatives. Foundation Guidelines are interpreted as broadly as possible to provide funding to as many worthy causes as we can.
List of Charities
|Adult Disabled Downhill Skiing
Alzheimer Society of Toronto
Bloorview Children’s Hospital
Breast Cancer Support Services
Bridges for Youth
Canadian Foundation for Aids Research
Canadian Cancer Society
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Foundation
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation
Daily Bread Food Bank
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières
Emily Stone Shelter for Women
Foster Parents Plan of Canada
Fred Victor Centre
Habitat for Humanity, Toronto
Hospice of Pell
HSC Foundation Wear Your Bear
Kids Help Line
Muscular Dystrophy Association of Canada
Ontario Track 3 Ski Association
Ottawa Health Research Facility
Princess Margaret Foundation
Save the Children
Share the Warmth
Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus Association
St. Michael’s Hospital
Starlight Children’s Foundation
The Covenant House of Toronto
The Heart & Stroke Foundation
Toronto Chinese Community Services Association
Toronto District School Board (BLG Reads to Kids Program)
Trinity Home Hospice
Weekend to End Breast Cancer
West Park Healthcare Centre
Yonge Street Mission
Youth Challenge International