Jim Douglas is a partner in our Toronto office. Jim is the national leader of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP's Securities Litigation Group. His practice focuses on:
- Securities litigation and regulation, including broker liability, proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), SRO disciplinary proceedings and charges under the Securities Act.
- Mergers and acquisitions litigation.
- Shareholders' rights litigation, including proxy fights, oppression proceedings, derivative actions and shareholders' class actions.
- Directors' and officers' liability, including shareholders' actions, creditors' actions, and offences under the Securities Act and other regulatory statutes.
- General commercial litigation, including contract disputes, debtor/creditor rights, commercial torts and energy market litigation.
Jim has represented the OSC, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada, The Toronto Stock Exchange and other securities regulatory authorities in investigations, prosecutions and disciplinary proceedings. He also represents registrants and public companies and their respective officers, directors and shareholders in civil proceedings and in all manner of proceedings and prosecutions before provincial securities commissions, self-regulatory organizations and the courts.
Jim was Senior Investigation Counsel at the OSC in 1989-90. He was also the Litigation Manager for the Enforcement Branch of the OSC in 1996-97. Both positions were secondments from the Firm.