Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of i.nnovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a part-time Director, Professional Resources (21 hours per week)
Purpose of Role
The Director, Professional Resources – BLG Beyond reports to the Chief Operating Officer, BLG Beyond and is responsible for helping BLG Beyond attain a market-leading reputation as an employer of choice by leading innovative and creative human capital solutions in the industry and equal to other leading professional service firms and alternative legal service providers in Canada.
The Director, Professional Resources provides national coordination of Talent advisory services for Legal Professionals in BLG Beyond including career management, capacity management, recruitment, performance management, compensation management, and talent management for a growing population of legal professionals . They will work in collaboration with BLG Beyond’s Talent Team and the national BLG Talent Team to drive alignment and synergies. Given the smaller scope of legal professionals in BLG Beyond, the role will be part-time, between three and four days per week.
The candidate must be comfortable working as part of a national virtual team, and willing to travel occasionally between offices to foster and build relationships. The candidate should be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation through a “digital first” approach.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Be nationally responsible for a market-leading performance management process and support the development of a culture of contemporaneous feedback, both of which will enhance the career development of BLG Beyond professionals and align to the Talent Framework of BLG Beyond
- Support legal professionals in navigating their careers within the BLG Beyond Talent Framework, and interface with the BLG Talent Framework
- Work closely with BLG Beyond Leaders, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Executive Officer to align capacity with the demand for legal services and manage performance
- Ensure effective onboarding and integration of legal professionals and support associates in integrating within BLG Beyond and also within the broader Firm
- Manage departures, conduct exit interviews, and manage the relationship of legal professionals leaving the BLG Beyond platform
- Collaborate on national Talent projects; ensure a BLG Beyond perspective is considered
- Contribute as a key stakeholder to a number of BLG Beyond Talent projects ensuring that the work product is implementable from a BLG Beyond perspective and that appropriate consideration is given to align to BLG where possible
- Lead the execution and implementation of the BLG Beyond ALSP Recruitment Strategy
- Coordinate collaboration with key stakeholders
- Ensure recruitment strategy and programs align with the vision for BLG Beyond
- Consider and build relationships with recruiters in the market to champion the needs of BLG Beyond and consider more creative sources of talent
- Work with leaders to develop student and articling programs for legal professionals for BLG Beyond
- Oversee the annual compensation process for lawyers in BLG Beyond
- Seek input from relevant leaders on partner or senior lawyer performance
- Talent Management
- Contribute to the development of and be nationally responsible for a framework for ensuring the highest potential BLG Beyond professionals are being actively managed to ensure their career expectations are being met and, in collaboration with the National Director, Talent Development, are experiencing professional and personal development
Communication and Integration
- Meet regularly with Regional Directors, Professional Resources and the National Director, Professional Resources to ensure consistency between Beyond and BLG
- Facilitate decision-making and resolution of issues across the Talent Team in the region
- Encourage, monitor, and support the ongoing collaboration with the Directors of Professional Resources and Recruitment Managers
- Work closely with the BLG Beyond Talent Team on the overall Talent program for BLG Beyond, including strategies and operational plans
- Bring forward ideas for continuous improvement and enhancement of Talent programs in Beyond in collaboration with BLG Beyond Talent Team and BLG’s national Talent Team
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable, discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator and team player, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG Beyond and have a high degree of emotional intelligence. The candidate must show an ability to roll up their sleeves, pitch in and get things done in a fast-paced and lean start-up organization. In addition, the following competencies will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Former practicing Legal Professional preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive Professional Resources and/or Professional Development experience, preferably in a management role
- Fluently bilingual in French and English is preferred
- Experience in change management and performance management required
- Experience in legal professional recruitment strongly preferred
- Experience in successfully leading and managing teams
- Experience in project management
- Strong internal client focus and strives for optimal client service and employee experience
- Strategic, nimble thinker who has the ability to engage different stakeholders, including Partners, on developing and executing plans
- Exceptionally open-minded and receptive to new ideas and suggestions
- Recognizes the value and possesses the ability to clearly articulate goals and expectations both verbally and written
- Proactive, highly adaptable, flexible and energetic
- Enjoys experimenting with new ideas, takes an innovative lens on their work and utilizes technology to drive efficiency
- Takes pride in being highly-organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve
- Ability to understand, filter and analyze data, including visualization tools, and present the information to support proposed strategic recommendations
- Enjoys working independently on quick turnaround projects, and as part of a larger team to ideate strategies and develop agile solutions
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire, engage and empower others
- Highly professional, and approaches role with high level of discretion and maturity
How to Apply
This position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.