Open Date July 2, 2021
Close Date July 23, 2021
The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Specialist, Events.
Purpose of the Role
The Specialist, Events will be expected to proactively and expertly support the Firm’s business development goals and objectives through planning, development and flawless implementation of strategic events for our clients and prospective clients including: seminars, conferences, sponsorships, receptions, virtual events and unique branded external experiences. The incumbent is a critical member of the Firm’s National Events Team and is responsible for contributing to increasing the Firm’s profile and helping to build relationships with clients. This role will also support key internal initiatives as determined by the Senior Manager, Events.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Together with the Senior Manager, Events ensure all events are in keeping with Firm brand, and business development goals and objectives, while ensuring best-in-class event execution and management
- Support Partners, Firm leadership and Business Development Practice Group Leaders (BDPGLs) by collaborating to set strategies for events that meet key business development objectives and capitalize on relevant opportunities
- Collaborate closely with BDPGLs to ensure all initiatives are executed flawlessly, on time and on budget
- Develop project plans including budgets, approvals, key dates and milestones with Partners and BDPGL’s to ensure deadlines and deliverables are met. Manage all event logistics for in-person and virtual events including invitations, mailing lists, handout materials, site management, speakers, visual presentations and follow-up efforts
- Negotiate and manage facility arrangements for room set-up, technical (AV) assistance and catering, working closely with IT, Office Services, other internal services teams and third party vendors
- Oversee delivery of all items needed for registration, including name tags and handout materials
- Coordinate the production and set-up of visual presentations
- Track event metrics and ROI for reporting and analysis post event
- Produce seminar and special event follow-up materials, such as final attendance reports, budget summaries, and post-event reports. Maintain master database of all events for annual reporting
- Build strong relationships with events colleagues in the Firm’s other offices for purposes of sharing best practices
- Subject matter expert on the Firm’s CASL policies and compliance
- Ensure the Events section of the Firm’s website is continually up to date
- Manage and maintain the Calendar of Events for purposes of sharing internally to promote cross-practice involvement and internal engagement
- Manage relationships with external vendors and continually curate potential vendors and venues
- Proactively contribute to proposing new and unique event experiences
- Forge strong integration with members of the Marketing and Communications Team including PR
- Media, Creative Services, CRM, Digital (Social), Media Relations, and Internal Communications. Work
- A university degree or college diploma in marketing, business administration, communications, or event management. Certification in special events, meeting planning (CPM), or project management (PMP) preferred
- A minimum five to seven years of corporate event planning and management experience working in a large complex organization with professional services, law firm, or B2B experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop and execute a wide range of events for senior executive audiences, with a reputation for delivering “best in class” and differentiated events
- Demonstrated experience delivering virtual events
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of event best practices including project planning and fiscal accountability
- Strong technology skills including webinar platforms, virtual program development and hybrid event knowledge
- Experience using WebEx, Zoom, Teams, Remo is an asset
- Brings a process-driven, highly organized and exceptionally professional approach. Ability to communicate and gain the trust of diverse stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Prior experience using a CRM system, e-marketing software and SharePoint sites. Advanced MS Office skills. Experience with D360 is preferred
- Exceptional eye for detail including writing, proofreading and general quality control
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Energetic and passionate about events management to achieve business objectives
- Excellent client service orientation and negotiation skills
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple time sensitive projects
- A team player with excellent judgment, resourcefulness, flexibility and creativity
- Availability to work overtime, when necessary
- Required to work in-office and onsite at events as the team sees fit.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.