Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Director IT Technology Operations, the Specialist, Technology Operations will be expected to execute the ongoing activities and procedures required to manage and maintain the Firm’s messaging infrastructure to deliver and support IT services at the agreed service levels. The focus of the role is on the support of Exchange Online, Office 365, Microsoft Exchange Messaging legacy platforms, Microsoft InTune, Mimecast email protection platform and a hybrid Microsoft Active Directory environment. The Technology Operations Specialist will actively consult and routinely participate in the technology projects and initiatives from concept through to implementation and operation. Working closely with the IT Support Team, Director of Cyber Security and Infrastructure Operations and the Senior Specialist, the Technology Operations Specialist will ensure that the performance of the infrastructure consistently meets or exceeds the expectations of our professionals and their clients.
The Technology Operations Specialist supports the Firm’s initiatives through the delivery of services, tracking KPIs, managing vendor relationship and maintaining the required level of confidentiality, integrity and availability of our systems.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Assist in the design, management, implementation, administration, architectural design, development, customization and integration of email and mobile solutions utilizing a variety of vendor platforms.
- Troubleshooting and optimization of email performance
- Provide email maintenance, backup, restore and recovery as needed
- End to end support of the Mimecast email security gateway
- Support and monitor of the Exchange Online and Office 365 services including OneDrive, Team and other related services
- Secure the messaging environment through implementation and support of security features including, the management of encryption certificates, security policies and email gateway protection services.
- Support the Cyber Security team in the management of all Data Loss Prevention (DLP) messaging components to minimize the risk of data leakage through the email platform.
- Manage other third party mail integration platforms such as Rightfax, Cisco services and any other integrated APIs.
- Maintain the high availability services of the messaging environment to the Firm’s expectation
- Install, configure and maintain messaging and related software in production and non- production environment to meet the requirements of projects and other initiatives
- Document and maintain final system configurations and installation procedures for all related environments to maintain system and configuration currency
- Performs regular technology currency updates, maintenance fixes, vendor supplied patches and other maintenance activities based on established procedures and standards required to support the IT infrastructure
- Assist in the analysis and resolution of customer or project issues and inquiries
- Provide troubleshooting on hardware/software/network problems
- Work interactively with Help Desk and User Support team members to expedite the resolution messaging and mobile related issues.
- Respond to Help Desk tickets as appropriate (e.g. 2nd level support).
- Manage and execute daily service and support tickets as assigned.
- Perform operating system patches and software upgrades, and routine platform configurations
- Obtain and maintain business relationships with key vendors to support the IT Infrastructure
- Proactively research and maintain knowledge of a range of products and processes within the supported environments and the industry.
- Continuously improve the delivery and support of the services in scope
- Support the related ISO 27001 messaging and mobile platform requirements
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation when required
- Create and distribute management reports, KPIs and KRI as required
- Maintain consistent, quality documentation to meet ongoing operations and business continuity requirements.
- Manage or act as a technical resource for infrastructure related tasks, for security related tasks, for projects and to assist with solving complex issues as requested
- Develop and maintain a positive team culture among team members and peers
- Plans daily work routine to ensure that the team and Firm’s objectives and met
- Ensure proper escalations processes are followed for operations and projects
- Provide recommendations on process and technology changes to benefit the Business Practices and the IT departments.
- Recommend technical solutions to meet current and future business need
- Support infrastructure upgrades and implementations related to relevant infrastructure
- Provide technical guidance and training to IT Support and Help Desk on related services
- Develop future strategies for Exchange online and Office 365 products and services
- Collaborate with the training team to evaluate and drive adoption of new capabilities for Exchange online, Office 365 and related tools, services and systems.
- Support the Firm’s strategic plans
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work
- Enterprise certifications such as:
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) + Exchange/Exchange Online and Office 365
- Enterprise Mobility Management Certificate (such as InTune)
- Significant Experience managing Exchange in a hybrid environment (Exchange on premise, Exchange online /Office 365)
- Experience migrating to Office 365 and implementing/operating a hybrid environment.
- Experience with the following technologies: SharePoint, SharePoint Online, Azure, Azure Active Directory, Mimecast
- Complete knowledge of mail flow and its related component across Microsoft Exchange and Exchange online
- Excellent PowerShell and scripting skills to manage a hybrid Exchange environment
- Experience with mail archiving integrated tools
- Experience managing Enterprise Backup (cloud and on premise) in a messaging environment using tools such as CommVault Enterprise Backup
- Strong skills managing RightFax
- Experience with a broad scope of infrastructure, technology, tools, processes and procedures, as well as broader IT and relevant business issues.
- Ability to work with other technologists on complex, highly visible and diverse infrastructure projects or issues.
- Experience in building and managing infrastructures and platforms that support systems/solutions which are highly secure, highly available and high performing
- Experience working in an ORION SolarWinds platform or similar NoC alerting platform
- Deploying and managing high-availability solutions (clustering, load balancing, auto-failover designs) in an onsite and cloud messaging environment
- Experience working with Enterprise Data Loss Prevention platform and features in a messaging environment
- Fluent in Active Directory and AD Cloud environment
- Fluent managing all Windows Server platforms and associated services such as DNS
- Fluent managing security updates through SCCM/WSUS
- Solid IT Service Management experience
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.