The national office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Administrator*, Intake and Conflicts.
Purpose of the Role
The Intake and Conflicts Department is a national team with staff in each office who provide advice and practical support to all members of the Firm. Our mission is to provide best in class services that are client focused. We provide a range of services including reporting conflict search results, opening new clients/matters, creating and maintaining Confidentiality Screens and completing the conflict steps necessary when professionals move to our firm. We have extended hours for those requiring urgent conflicts search results before the next business day.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Perform conflict searches, analyze results and provide potential match data to professionals
- Review of client/matter intake requests for compliance of firm protocols
- Perform new business conflict searches, analyze results and provide potential match data to professionals
- Perform ongoing maintenance of existing business (client name change, reopening, additional parties)
- Provide “on call” support for designated weeks (one week approximately every two months)
Secondary duties and responsibilities
- Set up and maintain confidentiality screens
- Perform lateral hire on-boarding procedures for new professionals and staff
- Review and recording of new engagement letters
- Review of Know Your Client information
- Complete new business intake procedures
- Perform due diligence checks for new clients
- Other duties as assigned
Key Competencies Required
- Understanding of the law, duties and regulations of a lawyer/client relationship.
- Knowledge of conflict of interest process and general principles
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, communication, and time management skills.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills with the ability to assess situations objectively in a time sensitive environment.
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data.
- Ability to work independently within a team environment, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Able to set own priorities to meet tight deadlines
- Availability to work overtime, when necessary
- Detail-oriented individual with strong proofreading skills
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Minimum three years of experience in a legal environment preferred; or any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Proficient in office software: MSWord, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, MS Outlook
- Knowledge of Intapp Open Conflicts and Intake; CMS Aderrant; Progress; World-Check would be an asset
- Bilingual in English/French would be an asset
- Experience with Intellectual Property law would be an asset
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.