Purpose of the RoleThe Data Analyst will be expected to use technical skills, in-depth data and business knowledge, and statistical techniques to analyze and interpret data, automate reports, build models and draw conclusions and insights based on BLG’s internal and external client needs. The Data Analyst may work with broad range of data but will particularly focus their work on people and talent-related data.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Data Analytics
- Data Visualization
- Reporting – Talent
- Create, transform and maintain data sets; this includes fixing coding errors and other data-related problems
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques, identify trends or patterns in complex data sets that could be valuable for diagnostic and predictive analytics efforts
- Build reporting, dashboards and visualization and provide regular reports to executive leadership and other areas of the business that effectively answer questions, communicate trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data
- Build strong and influential internal relationships to help ensure business objectives are being met
- Respond to ad hoc requests and support the day-to-day needs of the business function from a reporting and analysis perspective
- Take ownership over the management and administration of data and its integrity across multiple systems, including ensuring compliance with data processes and standards in collaboration with the Talent team
- Contribute to improving data culture
- Work with the Analytics COE, to develop and improve data processes and best practices.
- Champion the use of data for sound decision making across functions
- Support the internal clients at all levels and end-users by explaining the dashboards and how they can be used
- Maintain security, confidentiality and privacy of the data at all times
- Create appropriate documentation that allows stakeholders to understand the steps of the data analysis process and duplicate or replicate the analysis if necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BS in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics, or equivalent combination of knowledge and skills
- 2+ years of professional working experience in Analytics as a Data Analyst or Business Data Analyst
- Experience with talent and human resources systems would be a significant asset
- Strong proficiency with SQL-based languages. Ability to write and troubleshoot complex SQL queries
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet tools such as Microsoft Excel; and data visualization software such as PowerBI, and business intelligence tools
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy and present complex information in a simplified way to various audiences - able to transform data into business insights and actionable recommendations
- An interest and proficiency in the presentation and visualization of numbers and statistical data
- Technical expertise regarding data collection, data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques, report generation, business process development
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills with strong business acumen and an ability to think strategically about the information that will help stakeholders make data-driven business decisions
- Ability to be patient with and empathize with end-users
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced work environments and manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to work independently and on cross-functional teams
- Ability to organize, prioritize and follow through with important projects
- Ability to problem-solve with a track record of producing results
- Exceptional time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Eager to learn from others and help others grow with you
- Must be able to conduct all duties in English. Ability to work also in French is an asset.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.