The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Assistant, Cook.
Purpose of the Role
As part of our Catering team, the Assistant, Cook will serve great food with exceptional service and pride, while meeting the needs of internal and external clients. Working with the Manager, Conference Operations and the Head Cook, the Assistant, Cook supports the running of the kitchen and management of inventory, food waste and menu building, while adhering to food and safety guidelines. The incumbent is responsible for preparing menus with exceptional product, presentation and service in mind for client meetings and events, and for the Café.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Menu building and management assistance
- Office dependent:
- Boardroom menus
- Catering menus
- Café menus and service
- Office dependent:
- Assist as required with cost analysis, per levels management
- Vendor management activities as required
- Inventory management assistance
- Sourcing products
- Food safe protocol and guidelines
- Sourcing products
- Maintain and adhere to the highest of food safety standards
- Produce high quality menus with excellent quality of product, presentation and service
- Team communication
- Other duties as assigned
- Full-service restaurant kitchen experience is preferred
- Catering experience, experience in corporate catering service are assets
- Food Safe Certification
- Smart Serve Certification is an asset
- Exposure to inventory management is preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; with the ability to exercise discretion, tact and good judgement
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals from a diverse background
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with a calm and professional demeanor
- Ability to work independently and within a team with a positive attitude
- Ability to regularly lift and push objects up to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand during shift duration
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons. Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.