Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a Coordinator, Human Resources (minimum 28 hours per week).
Purpose of Role
BLG Beyond Resourcing (BR) is BLG Beyond’s contract professional resourcing service. This service provides readily available lawyers and paraprofessionals (BR Professionals) to work on temporary assignments within BLG in addition to assignments with BLG’s clients.
BLG Beyond Resourcing requires a confident, energetic, methodical, and detailed-oriented individual to support the Head of BLG Beyond Resourcing (Head of BR) in coordinating the program.
Reporting to the Head of BR, the bilingual Coordinator supports the Head in their work to lead and grow the program by providing administrative, basic financial, data-entry and general support. You will have a strong work ethic, possess a mind-set of continuous improvement, and are a self-starter in a fast-paced environment. You are someone who will work pro-actively to maintain accurate and complete records and processes, and who will contribute to continuously improving our approach.
The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation, embracing a “digital first” approach. The hours of work are flexible and this role will require a minimum of 28 hours (4 days) per week.
- Maintain accurate records of all BR Professionals and all assignments, including financial information and signed copies of contracts
- Responsible for coordinating and processing applications from prospective BR Professionals, including acknowledging applications, arranging interviews, and collecting onboarding information
- Prepare and process documentation related to the BR program as required
- Liaise between the BR program and BLG to ensure consistency and accuracy in processes and records management
- Maintain and update records of BR Professionals
- Extract data to provide the Head of BR with regular reports on BR Professionals and assignments
- Manage and maintain the document storage of all BR files
- Assist the Head of BR with scheduling
- Liaise with BR Professionals by phone and email where required
- Act as contact for general inquiries
- Undertake HR processes when BR Professionals are placed on assignment. These include:
- creating a central record of BR Professionals placed on assignment with BLG;
- undertaking background checks; and
- providing policies and procedures to the BR Professional and ensuring that the BR Professional reads and agrees to these policies.
- Liaise with the technology team to ensure that BR Professionals are set-up with IT access (hardware and software)
- Liaise with the training team to ensure that BR Professionals have the skills to use the technology effectively
- Reconcile invoices from BR Professionals on assignments and/or liaise with payroll to verify payments
- Liaise with the accounts department to provide the information required for the department to process invoices
- Generate reporting using the finance system
- Prepare presentations to be shared by the Head of BR with executives
- Minimum two years of experience in an administrative role; experience in a legal or professional services environment is an asset
- Fluently bilingual (French and English)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both in person and through various technology platforms
- Takes pride in being highly-organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve
- Strong data management and problem solving skills
- Proven project and time management skills and ability to manage a variety of concurrent assignments or projects
- Confident with technology and strong computer skills
- Flexible, tenacious, detail-orientated, energetic, enthusiastic
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.