The Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Manager, Human Resources*.
Purpose of the Role
The Manager, Human Resources ensures the highest standards of staff performance and service delivery are achieved within the Business Services support function. This role is responsible for assisting the Director, Human Resources with all regional human resources operations and aligning human resources practices with national human resources practices; participate in recruitment of Business Services roles and Legal Support Services roles, onboarding new employees, training and development, employee relations, performance management and payroll administration. The Manager will line manage the appointed Team Leaders in the appointed Region and business area to ensure day to day support operations are seamlessly delivered to the fee earners and clients.
The key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- Provide HR services to all Legal Professionals and Business Services members
- Lead recruitment projects for Business Services and Legal Support Services roles, in collaboration with Human Resources Director
- Management of Legal Support Services in concert with the Human Resources Director
- Employee relations, conflict resolution and performance improvement plans
- As directed by the Director, Human Resources, assist with administration of annual Business Services performance and salary reviews
- Maternity leave administration
- Absence and disability leave administration
- Conduct exit interviews for Business Services staff
- Prepare and conduct terminations of employment
- Responsible for all follow-up required for terminations of employment
- Assist the Human Resources Director with any other human resources activities, as required
- Projects as assigned
The key competencies for this role are:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma and CHRP/CHRL designation, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of Human Resources experience in a professional services environment; law firm experience is considered an asset
- Experienced in managing a team
- Able to build a collaborative team-orientated culture
- Able to positively and effectively tackle problems, formulate solutions and engage with others to ensure active steps are taken
- Sound common sense and good judgment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Able to build and maintain positive relationships with individuals at different levels of seniority
- Ability to create credibility with professionals and staff at all levels
- Exceptionally client focused approach
- Able to set expectations for continuous personal and team development
- Good self manager with excellent organizational skills
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve success
- Works effectively under pressure
- Able to achieve strict deadlines
- Well presented with a highly professional manner
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.