Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a Law Clerk, Leasing.
BLG Beyond is an alternative legal service platform that supports a suite of innovative services, which deliver value-added, cost-effective solutions for clients. BLG Beyond (Beyond) combines BLG’s proven expert advice with best practices and technology to deliver efficient, high-impact work to meet and exceed our clients’ needs in a constantly changing environment. BLG Beyond embraces innovation and agility and demonstrates a start-up mentality: fast, intense and purpose-driven.
We are a future-minded Firm delivering high-value advice and known for our unwavering commitment to innovation, diversity and inclusion, community involvement and talent development.
Purpose of Role
The Law Clerk is an integral member of BLG Beyond Leasing, working with the leasing Lawyers and Legal Support Staff to provide exceptional client service while enjoying the opportunity to develop skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
The Law Clerk thrives as a team player, has a strong work ethic, a mind-set of continuous improvement, and is a self-starter in a fast-paced environment.
In this unique position, the Law Clerk can work from any BLG office and they have the option to work fully remote if preferred. The Law Clerk will be dedicated to one client and must be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation.
- Liaise with commercial property landlords and managers
- Conduct real estate due diligence, anticipating issues and proposing resolutions
- Draft and negotiate leasing agreements and amendments to existing leasing agreements, including renewals, assignments, surrenders and collateral lease documentation
- Manage complex leasing agreements and identifying discrepancies where applicable
- Liaise with clients, various property management leasing and operations representatives, opposite legal representatives and third parties
- Assist with lease summaries and analysis as needed
- Manage and prioritize daily workflow, keeping matters on track, adhering to deadlines and expected turnaround times
- Manage and complete general administrative tasks
- As a team player within BLG Beyond Leasing, assist with overflow, urgent deadlines and provided back-up coverage
- Assist with related projects as required
This role provides access to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable, discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator and team player, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG Beyond and have a high degree of emotional intelligence. The candidate must show an ability to roll up their sleeves, pitch in and get things done in a fast-paced and lean start-up organization. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- A graduate of a recognized law clerk/paralegal certificate or degree program or equivalent
- Fluently bilingual (French and English) with the ability to draft both French and English legal documents
- Minimum five years of relevant experience, including experience in a retail property management leasing environment
- Strong technical skills, particularly with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; Experience with iManage and OneSpan, is an asset
- Takes pride in being highly-organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve
- Enjoys working independently on quick turnaround projects, and as part of a larger team to ideate strategies and develop agile solutions
- Recognizes the value and possesses the ability to clearly articulate goals and expectations both verbally and written
- Strong client focus and strives to provide the optimal client service experience
- Exceptionally open-minded and receptive to new ideas and suggestions
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.