The Montréal office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Manager*, Office Services.
Purpose of the Role
The Manager, Office Services will be expected to be responsible for the coordination and supervision of the regional Office Services Department (File Management, Mail Room, Copy Centre, Meeting Room Management, Facilities, Catering, Concierge and Procurement) to provide outstanding service to the Firm. The incumbent will be required to be the regional lead of the strategic transformation of Office Services to ensure that the needs of the Firm can continue to be supported while being aligned with a national service delivery platform.
The Manager, Office Services enhances the operations of their regional office by having the oversight necessary to implement best practices, structures and processes that are nationally coherent and supportive of the Firm’s growth. The Manager, Office Services will provide both strategic and tactical management of the offices by leveraging regional and national resources to meet regional and national needs. This role will also help develop the scope of national procurement efficiencies with Firm suppliers, and develop Centers of Excellence where necessary to provide enhanced national support.
This is a regional level role reporting to the Regional Managing Partner/National Head of Office Services.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Team Management
- Supervise and direct the activities of regional Office Services including employee selection, work assignments, performance evaluation and employee development
- Prepare annual department budgets and forecasts and long-term staffing, equipment and supply requirements
- Provides back-up support to Office Services staff as required
- Assists with the development of national Centers of Excellence, advises on best practices and on procedural development and implementation on
- Cost efficiency (focus on suppliers)
- Quality improvement
- Productivity improvement
- National harmonization of procedures and processes
- Serve as key resource and/or project lead on large strategic opportunities and related issues
- Evaluate effectiveness of Office Services strategies, identify gaps and opportunities, and recommend innovative yet practical solutions
- Provide regular communications on status, issues, risks to key stakeholders
Process Execution and Implementation
- Lead and develop best practice processes to support national standardization in sub-departmental areas including: File Management, Mail Room, Copy Centre, Meeting Room Management, Facilities, Catering, Concierge and regional aspects of the National Procurement Function
- Implement processes that meet the transformational needs of the Firm
- Research, develop and ensure the implementation of short and long-range departmental goals
- Analyze and evaluate departmental procedures and system, research new technologies and best practices to make recommendations to improve efficiencies and better leverage resources
- Draft departmental policies, procedures and forms that can be implemented nationally, understanding regional variations where appropriate
Oversight and Management of Regional Operations
- Act as a liaison between Office Services and other departments within the Firm
- Act as the representative of Office Services to Professionals, including presence at Regional Management Committee meetings, key escalation point
- Act as regional liaison with national vendors, and as a singular liaison with regional vendors where appropriate
- Partner with regional Office Services Managers to develop procurement strategies and policies
- Undertake RFP processes and vendor selection processes
- Negotiate better arrangements with suppliers
- Manage office renovations, maintenance and moves
- Lead security issue resolution, health and safety procedures
- Ensure business continuity and risk management processes are in place and documented
- 5+ years of management experience, preferably in a professional services environment
- In-depth knowledge of Office Services and the role played in supporting the Firm
- Ability to grasp, develop and execute strategies that seek to provide synergies and efficiencies
- Ability to liaise with stakeholders at all levels within the Firm
- Proven competencies in researching and analyzing issues and developing appropriate solutions
- Builds constructive and cooperative working relationships
- Advanced managerial skills with the ability to negotiate with and persuade others, not in direct line of report
- Ability to collaborate and develop national strategies with colleagues for Office Services management
- Strong project and time management skills and ability to manage a variety of concurrent projects
- Established knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong organization, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Leadership and ability to gain trust of others
- Ability to motivate teams during period of change
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.