Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Architect, Technology Applications.
Purpose of the Role
The Architect, Technology Applications is expected to provide technical leadership in every step of the software development process, including the data layer that supports third party solutions. This involves creating models and prototypes, evaluating potential risks and defects, analyzing specifications and customizing applications while ensuring that current and future performance, integration and scalability requirements are achievable.
This role also include the responsibility of the elaboration and execution of a data architecture roadmap to support the firm’s data strategy.
This role can be based in any BLG office.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Work closely with IT colleagues and business stakeholders to identify, recommend, procure, implement, and integrate cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the Firm
- Assess current and proposed technology components of the IT portfolio to support buy versus build and cloud adoption decisions that maximize return, minimize risks, and create appropriate future options for the enterprise
- Ensure that existing software and data components are aligned with the Firm’s strategic and operational goals and objectives
- Develop and maintain up-to-date documentation on existing applications and data architecture and technologies
- Confer with stakeholders, end-users, and IT colleagues to define business requirements for application development, implementation and or integration
- Apply technical expertise and architectural principles in providing guidance and assistance to other IT Architects, IT functions, project teams and BLG stakeholders
- Provide technology and architectural advice, planning guidance, direction and quality assurance to the technical teams and project teams on project approach and systems design and implementation, including the identification of associated risks and/or constraints
- Create system architecture specifications and validate the architecture against business and technology requirements and information security best practices and BLG-specific policies
- Work with the database team to review, evaluate and identify opportunities for cost savings/containment; IT operational efficiencies and effectiveness; and enhancing mission-critical business operations
- Conduct research into emerging and evolving technologies; recommend technologies and/or technology service offerings that will increase cost effectiveness, agility and flexibility
- Employ and advocate the use of enterprise architecture frameworks, methodologies, and leading practices to facilitate robust and effective solution design and delivery
- Develop and evolve the strategic plan for implementing a data architecture roadmap aligned with BLG’s business objectives and data strategy.
- Working closely with the “Senior Manager – Data management”, develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise data sources, including authoritative systems and owners.
- Support the data management team to deliver business intelligence solutions.
- Lead projects in the areas of application architecture
- Lead and provide oversight into the development and maintenance of current and future strategies and architecture.
- Collaborate with solution designers, business analysts and project managers on a wide range of projects impacting application architecture.
- Working closely with the development teams, define and maintain best practice guidelines and standards for application development.
- Ensure that DW/BI standards and guidelines are used to develop the information models and database designs.
- Provide review and oversight of database design, validation, and deployment to ensure quality and efficiencies through data and process standardization
- Work with the DBA’s and platform architects to assess database design patterns for performance requirements and to ensure scalability, supportability, usability and integrity.
- Collaborate and assist the system architect, infrastructure architect and the data management senior manager with:
- Establishing and maintaining consistent architecture methodology, framework, practices and principles
- Identifying, establishing and achieving goals and objectives of the architecture function to support BLG’s strategic plan
- Conducting annual reviews and assessments of the current architecture
- Providing proactive leadership and direction to IT staff members and project team members
- Implement and maintain BLG’s Service Standards within functional area
- Communicate the goals and objectives of the architecture function across the IT organization, in support of the broader Firm goals
- Consistently demonstrate a positive and professional attitude
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships across the firm and be viewed internally as a credible, knowledgeable and trusted technology advisor
- Act as the conduit for communication between the BLG user communities and IT, effectively communicating and escalating issues to the CIO and/or IT Directors
- Act as the ambassador and champion for the IT function, ensuring all local stakeholders are proactively aware of the services provided by IT
- Ensure that IT services are understood by and accessible to the practice groups and business service departments
- Effectively promote the use of the Firm’s technology to help solve business problems and satisfy business needs
- Continually facilitate knowledge transfer, sharing, and innovation within and the IT organization
- Maintain and develop professional and technical knowledge and skills
- Travel to other BLG offices as required
- University Degree or College Diploma in Information Technology (or equivalent work experience and/or certificates)
- Minimum 10 years of experience with application development, database development, or other functions requiring detailed attention to application/data design.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data Architecture design and implementation
- Minimum 5 years of experience with BI methodology and technologies.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data integration
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment, directing and assisting colleagues in a professional and consistently supportive manner
- Strong professional presence and conduct; able to work with senior management of the Firm
- Strategic thinker, with a proven ability to innovate
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to understand and deliver exceptional client service
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of application and data architecture concepts and principles, information security management, requirements analysis, product evaluation, systems implementation and integration, and production operations
- Expert knowledge of a broad scope of architecture, information security, technology, tools, processes and procedures from an architectural design and solutions perspective
- Ability to work with other IT architects and oversee IT professionals on complex, highly-visible and diverse architecture projects and/or systems issues, providing thought leadership
- Extensive experience with data integration (APIs, SQL, etc.)
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills along with the ability to multi-task various priorities
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to set priorities while maintaining flexibility
- High degree of initiative and self-management required
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to understand and deliver exceptional client service
- Strong consultative and communication skills, analytical ability, decisiveness, judgment, and the ability to work effectively with lawyers, IT, Business Services staff, and vendors
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple initiatives simultaneously, and prioritizing work to meet and/or exceed established service levels
- Ability to think logically and creatively in problem solving
- Solid understanding of transactional and information systems, data warehouses, data marts, MDM methodologies and life cycles.
- Hands-on experience with data analysis, quality, cleaning and extraction / validation tools.
- Expertise in designing solutions using the MS SQL Server platform.
- Expertise with the Microsoft software stack, including Azure Cloud
- Experience of Cloud Architecture/Technologies and Azure DevOps best practices.
- Experience with Quality Assurance best practices
- Hands-on experience with identity management product (MS MIM, Azure AD, Okta, etc.)
- Ability to translate user requirements into technical specifications and systems.
- Experience working with cross-functional IT groups to promote open communication and teamwork.
- Understanding the IT architecture discipline, processes, concepts, and best practices.
- The Technology Applications Architect must be able to conduct all duties in English. Bilingualism English/French is an asset.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.