The Calgary office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Assistant, Clients & Markets (4 month co-op student, Onsite).
Purpose of the Role
The Assistant, Clients & Markets will provide assistance with a broad range of business development, marketing, and communications activities related to brand awareness and profile to the Calgary office. This role reports to the Director, Regional Business Development and works closely with the other members of the regional Clients & Markets and Communications departments.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Providing administrative assistance to the Calgary Clients & Markets team.
- Assisting, organizing and implementing all projects as directed by the Regional Business Development Manager.
- CRM Support, including creating client contact lists for events, seminars, and newsletters.
- Providing web assistance, including responsible for managing and updating lawyer profiles on BLG’s external website and updating various department items on internal website.
- Proofreading documents, including proposals, nominations, bulletins and other communications.
- Assisting with social media campaigns.
- Ad hoc research, including venue and industry-specific information.
- Assisting with reporting for various events and BD activities.
- Events support as needed, assisting with event logistics, execution and registration.
- Providing afterhours support for events as needed.
- Assisting with ordering and managing promotional items.
- Acting as backup support for the Calgary Clients & Markets team during vacation leave.
- Responsible for managing and submitting department invoices and a monthly credit card reconciliation.
- Additional projects and functions as assigned.
- A university student, enrolled in a Business, Communications, Marketing, or Public Relations program or equivalent, ideally entering 3rd or 4th year. Preference will be given to students with previous co-op or work experience in related area.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and any other core systems implemented by the firm.
- Works well under pressure, problem solver and ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced setting with multiple projects and deadlines, with strong attention to detail.
- After hours availability as required by the Firm.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Strong client-service orientation and teamwork skills.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.