The Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Assistant, Cook.
Purpose of the Role
As part of our Catering team, the Assistant, Cook will serve great food with exceptional service and pride, while meeting the needs of internal and external clients. Working with the Manager, Conference Operations and the Head Cook, the Assistant, Cook supports the running of the kitchen and management of inventory, food waste and menu building, while adhering to food and safety guidelines. The incumbent is responsible for preparing menus with exceptional product, presentation and service in mind for the client floor meetings and events.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Menu building and management assistance
- Office dependent:
- Boardroom menus
- Catering menus
- Café menus and service
- Office dependent:
- Assist as required with cost analysis, per levels management
- Vendor management activities as required
- Inventory management assistance
- Sourcing products
- Food safe protocol and guidelines
- Maintain and adhere to the highest of food safety standards
- Produce high quality menus with excellent quality of product, presentation and service
- Team communication
- Other duties as assigned
- Full-service restaurant kitchen experience is preferred
- Catering experience, experience in corporate catering service are assets
- Food Safe Certification
- Smart Serve Certification is an asset
- Exposure to inventory management is preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; with the ability to exercise discretion, tact and good judgement
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals from a diverse background
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with a calm and professional demeanor
- Ability to work independently and within a team with a positive attitude
- Ability to regularly lift and push objects up to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand during shift duration
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.