AUM Law is an established Canadian law firm focused on serving securities registrants by advising on a wide range of regulatory compliance matters. We support clients in this sector by providing legal advice and services on topics ranging from initial registration to compliance systems, through to on-going advice on regulatory and business matters that arise in the course of a securities registrants’ life. We have developed unique service offerings for our clients and focus on providing expert advice in a cost-effective, efficient and forward-looking manner.
AUM Law is part of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP and the BLG Beyond suite of alternative legal services. See further details here: https://www.blg.com/en/services/blg-beyond
We do business differently than the typical Bay Street firm. Many of our clients are entrepreneurs, and so are we. Among the core differentiators of AUM Law are its sophisticated KM program, robust collection of precedents and other KM assets, and increasing utilization of bespoke legal tech to support the practice.
We offer an exciting and challenging work environment, competitive compensation and opportunities for personal and professional growth. This is an opportunity to get in and experience and help shape the growth of an “alternative” legal service provider, as part of BLG Beyond and AUM Law. This role will report to the Chief Legal Counsel at AUM Law.
The purpose of the role of KM Consultant is to support the professionals at AUM Law by helping to drive innovation in legal service delivery, including through the use of legal tech, and to develop, update, manage and provide access to the firm’s intellectual capital, processes and technologies. This role is focused on the area of regulatory compliance for portfolio managers, dealers and investment fund managers.
Accountability for updating KM assets rests with the KM Consultant; as such, the role has a significant writing component. It is an ideal opportunity for a junior lawyer or an inhouse compliance professional interested in alternative practices of law and career opportunities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge Management Content:
- Profile, develop and maintain precedent collections impacting regulatory compliance matters and drive user adoption
- Work with other SMEs to proactively update and enhance work primers, guidelines and checklists for professionals
- Update and maintain firm document templates, style guides and saving conventions
- Provide subject matter expertise for modules and precedents on regulatory compliance matters, including
with respect to registration, policies and procedures and expectations of securities regulatory agencies
- Set up news, business intelligence, market and legal alerts and create drafts of current awareness updates
- Publish monthly internal KM bulletin
- Assist with drafts of articles for monthly client bulletin
- Provide training to lawyers and paraprofessionals on substantive changes to module content and assist with substantive legal training opportunities
- Conduct training on the use of KM tools and resources and best practices
- Assist professionals to locate practice related and external knowledge resources and technologies
- Keep current with developments in legal technology and the KM community and maintain applicable subject matter expertise
- Identify automatization opportunities and assist with content programming and use
- Participate in technology pilot programs and assessments
- Drive adoption of relevant legal tech to practitioners
- A law degree and are a lawyer in good standing with a Canadian law society or hold an equivalent university degree in a related field
Experience, Skills and Competencies
- Minimum of five years experience in a related field, preferably in a law firm setting or in house at an investment manager
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the investment industry and relevant regulatory compliance regulations and operations
- A commitment to knowledge sharing, efficiency and excellence in legal work
- Experience in and understanding of knowledge and innovation strategies and their implementation
- An understanding of, and interest in, the ongoing digital revolution and its impact on legal practice and clients, including a comfort with technology
- A proactive approach towards projects, and the ability to take ownership of tasks and their progress independently
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and various legal search engines and online research tools
- Working knowledge of Worldox, ContactEase and PC Law is an asset
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- An ability to meet tight deadlines while balancing different priorities
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. AUM Law is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please advise us if you require an accommodation.