Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Automation Developer, Digital Hub.
Purpose of the Role
BLG is committed to an ambitious program of Digital Transformation. To that end BLG has established a Digital Hub to explore, test and develop innovative technology solutions for our clients and ourselves. The Digital Hub team is part of the Knowledge and Innovation team at BLG, responsible for creating solutions and bridging identifiable gaps.
At the Digital Hub, we value three things above all: team spirit, a mindset for change and empowerment through a clear set of behaviours, perspectives and boundaries. We believe these are interdependent and critical to the growth and success of us as individuals, as a team and as a firm. We are a small but high performing team. We seek like-minded individuals to join us.
We are seeking a highly skilled front end developer with a strong background in building scalable, high quality and high performance workflow/business automation solutions. As a developer with the Digital Hub, you will assist in delivering great end-to-end software experiences. You will be responsible for building, maintaining and deploying internal and external facing applications and services. You must respect deadlines and make sure that the quality of your work meets the Firm’s standards. You will be required to collaborate with co-workers and stakeholders to deliver highly-performing enterprise solutions.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Core responsibilities - You will be asked to develop new functionalities using existing applications and/or platforms. You will enjoy a high degree of autonomy and be responsible for delivering technically creative and smart solutions, that enable our internal customers to implement strategically significant workflow solutions.
The responsibilities include:
- From requests or business requirements, develop application solutions
- Ability to create detailed design based on architectural specifications
- Participate in evaluating development efforts impacts and estimates
- Ensure that standards and procedures defined at BLG are always followed
- Carry out unitary and functional tests in order to ensure quality of deliverables
- Work in close collaboration with all Technology Services members in order to ensure that all applications are functional
- Write the necessary documentation related to the applications
Maintenance - Part of the responsibilities includes the maintenance of existing applications. You will receive some requests to:
- Create enhancements and bug fixes for existing applications.
- Perform integrity tests and data spot-checks
- Perform performance tests on applications and analyze the results to prevent or correct potential problems
Support - You will be asked to provide a second level support to the users of internally developed application. The responsibilities include:
- Troubleshoot problems found in existing applications with the collaboration of the operation team.
- Identify the necessary fixes needed to resolve those problems
- Provide the fixes to be implemented in production
Technical skills (Essential):
You should aim to have four or more of the following:
- 5+ years of professional hands-on development experience with React and/or other frameworks
- Experience working within standard software development practices for the full development lifecycle including code reviews, testing, and deployment to various environments
- Experience with creating/configuring business workflow solutions using graphical workflow platforms such as UiPath, Nintex, or Microsoft Power Automate
- Experience with creating solutions that integrate/consume third-party APIs
- Proficient working knowledge of SQL and relational databases in general
- Familiarity with various authentication mechanisms such as OAuth and OpenId
- Any experience of working within a regulated services environment (preferably legal & compliance related) would be highly desirable.
Technical skills (considered an asset):
- Experience with code management using Git
- Experience with supporting production-level software
- Relevant certification(s) will be an asset
- Understanding of Design Thinking
- Understanding of Disciplined Agile (DA) and related methodologies
- Knowledge about various integration patterns (data, functional)
- Bachelor's degree or D.E.C. in Computer Science
- Proficiency in English, French would be an asset (spoken and written)
- Good synthesis and analysis skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, research tools and other systems implemented by the firm
- Excellent communication, organizational and team skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to think ahead and use initiative
- Flexible and dependable, able to take the initiative
- Able to remain calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic
- Able to quickly build confidence, respect and trust with others
- Have a positive approach to daily tasks and have a solutions focused working method
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate, As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and if necessary implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.