The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Director, Professional Resources.
Purpose of the Role
The Director, Professional Resources is responsible for helping BLG attain a market-leading reputation as an employer of choice by developing the most innovative and creative human capital solutions in the industry and equal to other leading professional service firms in Canada.
The Director, Professional Resources provides regional coordination of the Firm’s Talent advisory services for Legal Professionals including career management, capacity management, performance management, compensation management, and talent management.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Be regionally responsible for a market-leading performance management process and support the development of a culture of contemporaneous feedback, both of which will enhance the career development of BLG professionals
- Support legal professionals in navigating their careers within the BLG Talent Framework
- Work closely with National Group Heads, the Regional Managing Partner, and the Regional Group Managers to align capacity with the demand for legal services ensuring that high performers remain engaged and underperforming professionals are managed appropriately
- Support the lateral Partner recruitment process and confirm that key stakeholders adhere to the Firm’s policies and guidelines
- Ensure proper onboarding and integration of lateral partners and support lateral associates in integrating with their Practice Groups and with the Firm
- Manage departures, conduct exit interviews, and manage the relationship of legal professionals leaving the BLG platform
- Collaborate on national Talent projects; ensure a regional perspective is considered and that national work product is implementable from a regional perspective
- Oversee the annual compensation process for associates in the Region
- Contribute to the development of and be regionally responsible for a framework for ensuring the highest potential BLG professionals are being actively managed to ensure their career expectations are being met and, in partnership with the National Director, Talent Development, are experiencing professional and personal development which allows their potential to be met including a nationally consistent framework for identifying and managing top talent at the Firm
Communication and Integration
- Meet regularly with other Regional Directors, Professional Resources and the National Director, Professional Resources to ensure consistency across the regions
- Facilitate decision-making and resolution of issues across the Talent team in the region
- Encourage, monitor, and support the ongoing professional development and training of the Regional Professional Resources staff to ensure required capabilities are developed
- Ensure proper staffing and reporting structure within the Professional Resources team within the Region
- Former practicing Legal Professional preferred
- 8+ years of progressive Professional Resources and/or Professional Development experience, preferably in a management role
- Highly-developed interpersonal, communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with people at all levels
- Outstanding client relationship management skills, particularly with Partners of the Firm
- Strong operational management focus, ensuring high quality work product, on time and in-budget delivery
- Proven track record of management, organizational, delegation, time management and supervisory skills
- Highly-developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong client service orientation
- Strong leadership ability
- Strong Project Management ability
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.