Open Date July 9, 2021
Close Date July 26, 2021
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a: Head of BLG Beyond Resourcing.
Purpose of Role
The Head of BLG Beyond Resourcing is responsible to the Chief Operating Officer, Beyond for the strategic and operational management of BLG Beyond Resourcing.
The Head of BLG Beyond Resourcing will play a key role in establishing and growing the BLG Beyond Resourcing service offering. This leader will contribute to the implementation of BLG Beyond’s strategic plan through their service line, and play a key leadership role in revenue generation. They will ensure that their service group successfully aligns business outcomes with BLG Beyond’s vision and provides an exceptional level of client service to BLG and BLG Beyond.
The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation.
Everyone at BLG Beyond is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
Strategy Development & Implementation
- Lead the implementation and operationalization of the BLG Beyond Resourcing service offering
- Inspire team members to execute on the vision while focusing on operational excellence
- Ensure the COO, Beyond is kept informed of business activities, risks, opportunities and recommended actions
- Prioritize and implement continuous improvement initiatives
Talent Management & Recruitment
- Collaborate with alumni and other key stakeholders such as the Paraprofessionals to establish and grow the offering
- Establish recruitment related processes
- Establish process to successfully pair resource with work requirements
- Establish successful onboarding program
- Develop an efficient and effective escalation process for challenge resolution and performance management
- Establish an ongoing contract management system
- Clearly establish billing expectations with all resources
- Develop and drive the culture of agile/on-demand services amongst resources
- Define and negotiate service level agreements
- Manage contracts and associated compliance measures including conflicts and background verification
- Represent the Beyond Resourcing service offering within BLG to advocate and actively promote the service offering to Partners and other key stakeholders
- Lead the integration of the services with BLG
- Coordinate with the BLG Beyond Management Committee to advocate on behalf of Beyond Resourcing team members
- Proactively identify internal resource requirements and provide suitable resource allocation
- Develop a change management and integration roadmap for the service offering
Financial Management & Reporting
- Oversee Beyond Resourcing’s financial management and reporting including management of expenses, budgeting, planning and forecasting
- Establish and monitor rates to ensure market competitiveness and profitability
- Monitor business performance against performance goals to ensure progress is being made and collective action, if necessary, is taken
- Report business performance to key executive groups and stakeholders
- Manage time entry and billing for BLG Beyond Resourcing service
- Establish and implement the Beyond Resourcing marketing strategy
- Drive the alternative legal services provider operating model to create new opportunities both within BLG and with external clients
Client Relationship Management
- Represent Beyond Resourcing to external clients
- Develop an efficient and effective escalation process for challenge resolution
- Foster strong internal relationships with the various practice groups
- Facilitate successful integration of resource with client
- Design and operationalize client satisfaction interviews for selected clients ensuring appropriate follow-up
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG Beyond. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- An undergraduate degree with a preferred focus in business or finance, and ideally a secondary degree (M.B.A. or J.D.)
- Minimum ten years of demonstrated success in strategic management of operations in a professional services firm or service business
- Human Resources management and legal recruitment experience preferred
- Experience in the legal sector and an acquired understanding of the Canadian legal landscape
- Familiarity with legal concepts including development, trends, analysis and technology environments pertaining to legal services would be ideal
- Demonstrated experience leading financial management and reporting for an operation of relevant scale
- High degree of intellectual acumen coupled with strong lateral and conceptual thinking abilities
- Exceptionally open-minded and receptive to new ideas and suggestions
- Recognizes the value and possesses the ability to clearly articulate goals and expectations
- Highly adaptable, flexible and energetic
- Proven ability to create team cohesion through success and failure
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire, engage and empower others
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.