The Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Manager, Client Services.
Purpose of the role
The Manager, Client Services will be expected to lead and plan the billing and client services operations for the Toronto Office. The incumbent is responsible for creating and maintaining efficient and effective billing and receivable procedures in line with the Firm’s overall strategic goals under the direction of the Director, Client Services.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Oversee billing and client services processes while providing leadership and innovative ideas for the team
- Provide proactive leadership and direction to direct reports, effectively manage their performance, mentor and facilitate the professional development of their skills and competencies to ensure excellence in service to clients and internal stakeholders
- Provide input on measurement and reporting systems, trend analysis models, and identify and implement best practices
- Prepare and analyze detailed aging reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Prepare and analyze analysis related to the allowance for doubtful accounts
- Lead interaction with key stakeholders to drive successful outcomes to disputes
- Resolve high level disputes and assist in the maintenance of client relations, or escalate as required
- Oversee and manage the day to day accounting function for billing and client services
- Plan and implement quality assurance for all processes
- Accomplish billing and receivables objectives by measuring results against plans; evaluating and recommending improvements to methods and processes and implementing required changes
- Establish and meet billing and receivables operational standards by aligning methodology and process improvements with strategic plans and reviews
- Assist in the management of year-end audit process
- Participate as required in the planning of billing and receivables strategy and program implementation
- Degree in Business or Finance is required with a minimum of three to five years management experience in a professional services environment
- Excellent leadership skills, proven abilities to motivate and guide a team
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Thorough knowledge of the AR process, financial reporting, budgeting, federal and provincial tax regulations, internal audit and control procedures
- Demonstrated ability to redesign processes and enhance performance
- Experience with large professional services accounting systems software (CMS an asset) and advanced knowledge of Excel and SQL reporting
- Analytical with attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, ability to interact effectively with all levels within the firm
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons. Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.