Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Senior Account Manager, Legal Operations.
Purpose of the Role
BLG is looking for an experienced Senior Account Manager, Legal Operations to join its growing Legal Operations team. This individual will anticipate and take strategic action in response to the evolving needs of our key clients. Significant client engagement skills are essential to the cultivation, fulfillment and retention of successful client relationships. This individual will also be responsible for driving, documenting and educating our Firm’s best practices for commercial excellence and consulting on those best practices among a wide range of clients and matters.
This position works closely with key client team leads, Client Responsible and Matter Responsible lawyers and paraprofessionals, in addition to various other departments within Business Services (such as Finance and Risk). The Senior Account Manager, Legal Operations will also play an important consultative and strategic role on the commercial management of clients and matters. An important objective of the Legal Operations group is to break down silos within the Firm. Collaboration with all business units is imperative in order to deliver seemless, timely and exceptional service to BLG’s clients.
As a member of the Knowledge and Innovation group, the successful candidate will be part of a growing, creative and multi-disciplinary team. This person must be a team player and a self-starter with a mind-set of continuous improvement. The role can be located in any of BLG’s regional offices and will report to the National Director, Legal Operations.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Key client account portfolio and relationship management:
- Establish portfolio goals with key clients and report to the client on these measures regularly
- Ensure ongoing information flow to internal stakeholders to increase collective understanding of client needs and to ensure there are no information silos
- Develop proactive strategies along with internal stakeholders that will keep BLG in alignment with the client’s changing landscape
- Work alongside the BD and Pricing Teams and participate in discussions around pricing, leverage and scoping of significant matters for key client portfolios
- Ensure that commercial management best practices are being communicated and applied within the key client portfolio teams
- Liaise with and leverage support from various departments in the Firm to drive changes that will support increased key client profitability, efficiency and innovation
- Support the commercial management of key client accounts through contract and compliance management
- Leverage various analysis techniques to identify opportunities for profitability improvement
- Lead the development of a comprehensive consolidated portfolio reporting package reflective of key client needs
- Gain an understanding of client lifecycles and leverage opportunities for improvement within the client and matter lifecycle
Legal operations and commercial excellence support:
- Work with lawyers, paraprofessionals and others within Business Services to bring our commercial management best practices to life
- Lead with a client lens, ensuring consistency in legal operations delivery across all practice groups in support of client specific agreements
- Assist in the preparation and review of playbooks, guides and legal operations best practices
- Identify opportunities for improvement within our matter management systems, processes and workflow
- Provide consultative support to legal professionals or members of a matter team on pricing and leverage strategies, budgeting and scoping and recommended approaches to matter management
- Be able to digest various sources of data and communicate the story that the data tells to key stakeholders in order to make informed, proactive and strategic decision on all aspects of client and matter management
- Work with legal operations specialists within matter teams to identify problems, seek out solutions and provide recommendations on steady state workflows
- Provide consultative support to matter teams on scope change management processes with ancillary reporting as necessary
- Act as a leader in enhancing skill set around budgeting and matter management through training, communication and protocol/process implementation
- Facilitate meetings both internally and externally
- Track risks and issues, with succinct action plans
Account management key performance indicators:
- Identify, develop, collect and regularly report on key performance indicators relevant for the Senior Account Manager, Legal Operations role (including objective and subjective criteria)
- Use data from the KPI analysis to reflect and pivot on actions taken within the key client portfolio
- Post-secondary education in Business, Finance, Accounting or related fields (MBA is an asset)
- 5-7 years’ experience in Professional Services Firms (Law Firm and/or Financial Services Firm preferred)
- Prior experience in managing client accounts required
- Ability to understand financial key performance indicators and apply them to develop effective business strategies and analyze outliers
- Prior experience in managing projects
- Pricing analysis and strategy skills desirable
- Advanced computer skills using MS Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint required
- Capable of creating and sustaining exceptional client satisfaction standards
- Exceptional people skills with demonstrable ability to lead through negotiation, influence and diplomacy both internally and externally
- Capable of working independently and being a self-starter
- Team player who seeks to leverage the knowledge and insights of others to strengthen work product
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional presentation skills and level of professionalism
- Ability to react to change in a positive and productive manner
- Excellent business acumen and industry knowledge
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail
- Proven problem assessment, sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to transform problems into solutions that are relevant to client needs
- Able to understand detailed business requirements and apply these insights to the design, development and execution of bespoke business processes and protocols
- Capable of prioritizing a wide volume of tasks and delivering results by using strong organization, time and project management skills
- Strong commitment to timing and quality standards and ability to motivate other teams to achieve these standards
- Bilingual French and English is an asset
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.