Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a Manager, Business Growth.
Purpose of Role
The Manager, Business Growth reports to the Chief Operating Officer, Beyond and will support the National Business Leader, New Services and BLG Beyond in the strategic and operational management of BLG Beyond’s market growth – both of current and future services.
The Manager, Business Growth will have in-depth knowledge of the BLG Beyond services and the Canadian ALSP market and will assist in advising how to position the services to clients and in the market. The Manager, Business Growth will fulfill a critical role in helping clients see the value in BLG Beyond’s services. For new services, the Manager, Business Growth will support the identification of opportunities for new services, make recommendations on market opportunities and ensure that services are ready to launch through the coordination and marshalling of all the resources required to get services to market from within Beyond. The Manager, Business Growth will develop non-technical aspects of the new service offerings including; value propositions, competitive analyses, service positioning (internally & externally), creating client personas/use cases, researching and recommending pricing based on market benchmarks. The Manager, Business Growth will also be responsible for working closely with the new service leads to create agile business growth plans that include identifying target markets and clients, gaps in service, developing measurable goals and distilling these into practical action items, in addition to monitoring their progress. The Manager, Business Growth will also develop pitch and marketing materials, and make contributions to BLG Beyond’s digital marketing strategy.
The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation, embracing a “digital first” approach.
Everyone at BLG Beyond is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
- Directly contribute to the revenue growth of BLG Beyond
- Work with key stakeholders and independently to identify market opportunities for growth of existing service lines
- Leverage professional networks, industry events and other channels to pitch BLG Beyond’s services to prospective clients and referees
- Identify market gaps and bring ideas forward for the development of new service lines
- Responsible for undertaking iterative/agile business planning with BLG Beyond service leads and leadership stakeholders
- Track progress of business plans, and ensure goals are measurable, and lead to practical actions
- Develop targeted marketing plans for client personas/use cases where our existing services would be of high value to their businesses, work to deepen these relationships and drive revenue growth through existing client base
- Stay abreast of traditional and non-traditional markets for legal services, and distill insights into briefings
- Be highly organized, develop and maintain a relevant business pipeline dashboard
- Responsible for the maintenance of the client opportunity pipeline, working across service Leads to update bi-weekly
- Responsible, in conjunction with leaders, for garnering client feedback at important client touchpoints (events, pitches, service/solution delivery).
- Work with BLG Beyond service leads to respond to RFPs and other client acquisition opportunities, and identify other areas where BLG has capabilities to round out pitches and submissions
- Work with lawyers across BLG and BLG Beyond to craft responses, collaborate on ideas to highlight different service offerings
- Collaborate on the outline and agenda of presentations that BLG Beyond members will make at key events
- Work within BLG, BLG Beyond and ALSP ecosystem to proactively identify and develop service pairings for clients.
- Assist in the development of pre-sales proposals and materials for targeted client opportunities.
Service Launch & Opportunity Development
- Support the National Business Leader, New Services in the launching of new service lines, including taking ownership of all non-technical aspects of the service launch and coordinating with other teams as required to ensure a successful launch
- Develop service positioning strategies (internal & external)
- Create client personas/use cases, mine existing client database to identify prospective clients
- Create pitches based on client personas/use cases that clearly demonstrate the value of the new service offering to the client
- Lead the update of existing marketing collateral to add new services
- Develop strategic recommendations and marketing approach for new services
Market Research & Intelligence
- Proactively undertake market research to assist in the positioning of existing service lines, and also to identify gaps in the market where new services should be conceptualized
- Develop and nurture a network in traditional legal and non-traditional legal channels, including legaltech, Fintech spaces
- Distill market insights into practical and actionable plans, ensuring that we capitalize on this insight to strengthen the positioning of the BLG Beyond brand, and that of the service lines
Pricing & Reporting
- Work with Finance team and other key stakeholders to strategize pricing of services, with an emphasis on AFA pricing.
- Work with Beyond leaders to ensure that pricing proposed to clients emphasizes value and outcomes, and is in-line with the Pricing Vision of BLG Beyond.
- Proactively identify value-add solutions and services that can be included in pricing proposals.
- Ensure that the National Business Leader, New Services and the COO, Beyond are kept informed of business activities, risks, opportunities and recommended actions
- Monitor business performance against performance goals to ensure progress is being made and collective action, if necessary, is taken
- Report business performance to key executive groups and stakeholders
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable, discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator and team player, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG Beyond and have a high degree of emotional intelligence. The candidate must show an ability to roll up their sleeves, pitch in and get things done in a fast-paced, and lean start-up organization. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- An undergraduate degree with a preferred focus in business, M.B.A degree strongly preferred
- Minimum ten years of demonstrated success in strategic business development or growth roles in professional service firms, ALSP or start-ups
- Knowledge of the legal market is an asset
- Has achieved, or been part of core team responsible for achieving, revenue growth
- Has strong network of contacts in professional services, ALSPs or start-ups
- Strategic, nimble thinker who has the ability to engage different stakeholders on developing and executing plans
- High degree of intellectual acumen coupled with strong lateral and conceptual thinking abilities
- Exceptionally open-minded and receptive to new ideas and suggestions
- Recognizes the value and possesses the ability to clearly articulate goals and expectations
- Highly adaptable, flexible and energetic
- Proven ability to create team cohesion through success and failure
- Able to undertake deep market research, and develop succinct conclusions
- Enjoys experimenting with new ideas, takes an innovative lens on their work and utilizes technology to drive efficiency
- Takes pride in being highly-organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve
- Ability to understand, filter and analyze data, including visualization tools, and present the information to support proposed strategic recommendations
- Enjoys working independently on quick turnaround projects, and as part of a larger team to ideate strategies and develop agile solutions
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire, engage and empower others
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.