Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Manager, Data Analytics.
Purpose of the Role
The Manager, Data Analytics will be expected to apply analytical, modeling, data and business experience to ensure that analysis results in new and innovative solutions which help our stakeholders resolve their current and potential business challenges, and meet and/exceed their expectations. This position will use technical skills, in-depth data and business knowledge, and statistical techniques to analyze and interpret data, automate reports, build models and draw conclusions and insights based on BLG’s internal and external client needs. The position will provide analytical support to leaders of the Firm in order to assist in strategic decisions.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Align with both internal and external key stakeholders to brainstorm, test and develop new analytics that optimally leverage internal and external new and existing data assets to address and/or exceeds business objectives and requirements.
- Gather and analyze requirements to develop impactful recommendations and solutions; translate requirements into analytics strategies, integrate various data sources, and apply database marketing techniques (including targeting, segmentation and modeling)
- Utilize advanced analytical techniques to solve challenging business problems. Leverage a diverse set of technologies and tools to deliver insights.
- Assisting with driving incremental business value through timely execution of analytics use cases
- Support initiatives to standardize the KPIs & Metrics across the enterprise to ensure data is consistently applied and interpreted throughout the Firm
- Evaluate new data available and support POC initiatives in order to determine the most optimal use of new data and potential new solutions development
- Assist with Identifying opportunities for, and conducting, strategic research to improve business outcomes
- Educate client stakeholders on best practices and proper use of digital data and analytics to help them make informed decisions
- Proactively manage and foster client relationships by acting as a strategic advisor to the client; develop a keen understanding of the client’s business and marketing objectives to help promote and achieve their strategic data-focused objectives, not only for currently-existing projects
- Work with Partners to advise on available data (including Pricing, profitability etc.) to support business development and the execution of legal work
- Work with Practice Managers to build out the next generation reporting solutions including automation and visualization capabilities
- Work with client teams to support priority pricing and marketing initiatives
- Work with business development, national business leaders and client pursuit teams to leverage big data, market data, proposal scenarios advanced analytics, data insights to support business development (pricing, scoping etc.)
- Deliver against objectives through effective collaboration, working across multiple stakeholder groups, cross-functional groups, departments and leadership teams both within the organization and outside of the organization
- Create and present analysis with insights to stakeholders/clients, utilizing advanced storytelling skills
- Support efforts to assess any new data management systems and processes
- Provide input on business requirements for data management needs relating to systems & technology development
- Supervise, mentor and train Data Analysts within the Data Management and Analytic Department
- Degree in Mathematics, Business, Statistics, Computer Science or Engineering with outstanding academic credentials. Preference given to those with Post Graduate credentials in above or similar fields
- Exceptional data and business analytics skills, to garner insights through in-depth data analysis and creatively problem-solve real world, complex business problems; combined with effective communication skills to translate complex analytical solutions in business-friendly language
- 5+ years of experience, specifically in statistical/data analysis and data mining, experimental design, cluster analysis, building decision trees, and predictive modeling
- Strong business acumen and analytical capabilities - ability to consolidate information into clear, concise analysis in support of business decisions
- Strong experience working with large amounts of data with significant ambiguity, developing creative approaches to analytical problems, and interpreting data and results from a business/industry perspective
- Experience with visualization tools (Tableau, QlickView, Power BI, etc.), analytical tools (Python or R) and SQL
- Expert level knowledge of analytic and modeling techniques and working knowledge of associated development tools
- Proven ability to design, develop and deliver industry-leading, best-in-class performance reporting, managerial dashboards, visualizations and analytical solutions
- Highly developed impact and influence skills to work at the senior management level with a proven track record of building strong relationships/working collaboratively across businesses and functions in a transparent manner
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills with strong business acumen and an ability to think strategically about the information that will help stakeholders make data-driven business decisions
- People management skills and experience an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to:
- present to C-suite audience and other executive level stakeholders on areas of responsibility; and
- lead training initiatives
- Comfortable leading and taking initiative in vague and unstructured situations
- Ability to work independently and on teams (including cross functionally), take initiative and translate goals into priorities and actions
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced work environments, and manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to organize, prioritize and follow through with important projects
- Ability to problem-solve with a track record of producing results
- Exceptional time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Eager to learn from others and help others grow with you
- Ability to conduct all duties in English is essential. Ability to work also in French is an asset.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.