Purpose of the RoleThe Practice Assistant, Intellectual Property will be expected to coordinate the workflow for other support services including delegating and reviewing the completion of document production, file management, copying/scanning work and other administrative work. The Practice Assistant will take an active interest in, and obtain a thorough understanding of, all aspects of client requirements to provide exceptional service levels to the lawyers and our clients.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Manage due dates for Agents and follow up with clients when needed
- Assist with the preparation of correspondence with clients and associates in many jurisdictions
- Communicate internally and externally, to ensure that all correspondence and deadlines are managed in a timely manner and in accordance with the BLG Service Standards
- Distribute workflow as appropriate to Administrative team members
- Assist with preparation of correspondence in oppositions, summary cancellation proceedings, and disputes
- Coordinate with support teams to arrange meetings and travel requirements
- Support Agents in marketing activities including involvement in preparation of pitches and presentations
- Manage client accounts including ensuring all time is captured and invoiced in accordance with client instructions
- In addition to providing support to the Agents to whom they report, a Practice Assistant will also provide assistance to their colleagues as required
- Legal Assistant or Law Clerk Diploma or equivalent experience;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a related role, experienced in practice management, and extensive knowledge of Trademarks
- Proficiency in MS Office (excellent knowledge of advanced functions in Word);
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with clients and lawyers;
- Ability to interact professionally with clients and all members of the firm;
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills;
- Self-starter who can work with minimal instruction/supervision;
- Detail-oriented individual with good proofreading skills;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Ability to follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- Able to set priorities while maintaining flexibility;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.