Purpose of the Role
- The Specialist is responsible for contributing to revenue growth in alignment with the Firm’s strategic plan and improve BLG’s profile in international markets (US, UK, Europe, Asia).
- Support the lawyers in assigned areas with business development and marketing needs while managing resources required to successfully execute business development plans.
- Use data and insights to inform decisions and develop strategic programs that deliver business results.
- Enable the legal professionals in terms of developing skills in client relationship management, how to exceed client expectations, improving business communication and presentation skills and other areas that will enhance the client offerings.
Success in this role is measured through the Specialist’s contribution to: lead generation (converting opportunities into new work); client relationship development (new and institutional); and brand awareness (BLG as trusted business partner within the sector).
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Program Delivery (30%)
- Develop, execute and manage focused and strategic international business plans, tracking initiatives and outcomes, with a clear emphasis on revenue growth and profitability
- Ensure collaboration and alignment with regional, practice and sector international activities
- Identify and recommend strategic business development opportunities for priority areas and sectors, working with relevant teams to execute successfully
- Work with Business Intelligence to provide actionable insights and research, analyze trends and identify opportunities with target clients
- Develop and manage project plans and budgets to ensure business development initiatives are implemented on time and within budget, and expenses comply with firm policies and procedures
- Provide proactive and strategic input to the proposal process, content and intellectual capital and assist the National Business Leaders, lead lawyer and team, national RFP team as required in order to increase the Firm’s win rate
- Build internal awareness of the international priorities, activities and Committees to further collaboration and knowledge sharing
Referrals Database (15%)
- Grow the national referral database, ensuring data capture and usage is ongoing, and data quality is maintained at a high standard
- Provide key stakeholders with regular reporting and the information required to understand, prioritize and enhance our most promising referral relationships
- Provide recommendations for foreign firms to assist with outbound work based on data and priorities
Preferred Network and Relationship Management (15%)
- Strategically manage and support the development of our existing referral relationships, working with relationship partners to ensure regular touchpoints, revenue growth and joint client development
- Identify additional firms for more formalized relationships as it aligns with our international priorities and growth objectives
Trips, International Conferences and Associations (20%)
- Work with key stakeholders to strategize, project manage and measure effectiveness of memberships, events, sponsorships, and conferences
- In coordination with the Marketing & Communications Team, plan and execute effective webinars, seminars, conferences, and other firm-sponsored and client events and relevant activities, taking primary responsibility for planning, audience recruitment and lead follow-up
- Plan and coordinate international visits with key stakeholders. Provide insight on key markets and targets, resources, and follow up activities
Marketing & Brand Awareness (10%)
- Work with the Marketing & Communications team to create solid and multi-faceted market development activities, including thought leadership that aligns with the Firm’s brand strategy.
- Use the web analytics to inform decisions and detail what is working and not working in the market to pivot accordingly
- Identify and implement thought leadership opportunities to improve the profile of the Firm and our lawyers in the global marketplace
- Ensure the international expertise webpages are up to date to reflect priority expertise areas, latest experience and insights
Operations, Reporting & Analysis (10%)
- Provide regular status updates on international activities to leadership and key stakeholders
- Evolve the mechanism to track and share information on international conferences, trips, meetings, and associated follow up activities and ROI
- Assist with forecasting, planning and preparation of the BD budget and expenses for the international initiatives
- Facilitate regular meetings with related Committee leaders to monitor, track and adapt initiatives as outlined in the business plans. Ensure relevant Committees are action focused on revenue generating activities.
- Degree in Business/Marketing/Communications
- Minimum 4+ years’ experience at leadership level of which at least 3 years have been in a legal or professional services environment
- Bilingual (English/French) capability is an asset
- In-depth understanding of legal and business environments, especially the business model of the National Practice Group(s) and Client Service Team Leaders that the role will be supporting
- Strong professional presence and conduct, able to work with Senior Management of the Firm
- Strategic leader and thinker, with a proven ability to innovate
- Strong time and project management skills, and ability to manage a variety of concurrent projects
- Established knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and CRM
- Team-oriented and a good communicator
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate. As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and if necessary implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.