Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Specialist, Business Development.
Purpose of the Role
- BLG maintains the pre-eminent labour and employment law practice in Canada, providing practical and strategic advice services to a wide range of employers at the provincial, national and international levels. BLG’s national Labour and Employment (L&E) Group brings its expertise to organizations of all size, federally or provincially regulated, to address the full spectrum of employer concerns, ranging from human resources requirements to workplace investigations to litigation.
- Reporting to the National Director, Practice Strategy & Growth, the Specialist, Practice Strategy & Growth – L&E is responsible for contributing to revenue growth through lead generation activities, new business pursuits, and amplification of the L&E Group’s profile in all regions in which BLG operates. On a daily basis, the Specialist will: execute the objectives defined in the national L&E business plan; support L&E lawyers on business development and marketing needs; use data and insights to inform decisions and develop strategic programs that deliver business results; and coach L&E lawyers on client relationship management best practises to improve business communication and service delivery.
- This role will also assist with other practice areas as the need arises.
Success in this role is measured through the Specialist’s contribution to: lead generation (converting opportunities into new work); client relationship development (new and institutional); and brand awareness (BLG as trusted business partner within market).
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Operations and Program Delivery (25%)
- Assist with the development and the management of project plans and budgets to ensure business development initiatives are implemented on time and within budget, and expenses comply with firm policies and procedures.
- Lead the development of various submissions to rankings, directories, league tables and professional associations that are most beneficial. Track and report on results and outcomes.
- In collaboration with the National Director and other leadership, identify and execute cross-servicing initiatives with other practice groups and sectors and proactively seek out business development opportunities with existing and potential clients.
- Ensure experience / capability statements and case studies are captured and updated on the website and reported into the Experience team/cases database.
Reporting and Analysis (25%)
- Promote and use the firm’s CRM to ensure client contacts and L&E marketing lists are up-to-date.
- Use the web analytics to inform decisions and detail what is working and not working in the market to pivot accordingly.
- Track and report on the business pipeline, results, wins, losses, ROI, best practices and lessons learned, including matters and expertise used for internal knowledge and external PR purposes and online content.
- Work with Business Intelligence to provide actionable insights and research, analyze trends and identify L&E growth opportunities with target clients.
Marketing & Brand Awareness (20%)
- Ensure group business priorities are consolidated into Practice Group/sector plans and corresponding personal plans that outline target audiences, goals and intended outcomes.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Team to plan and execute impactful activities that raise BLG’s L&E profile including: webinars, seminars, conferences, trade shows, and other firm-sponsored and client events and relevant activities, taking primary responsibility for planning, audience recruitment and lead follow-up.
- In collaboration with the National Director and leadership, develop and implement plans, programs and activities that support client touchpoints, such as thought leadership reports, perspective pieces, newsletters, client alerts and marketing collateral.
- Develop and share deep knowledge of the existing client base and clients’ past, present, and potential business and legal challenges.
Planning, Implementation & New Business Acquisition (30%)
- In collaboration with the National Director and leadership develop, execute and manage the L&E Practice Group business plan, integrating L&E plan objectives across other practice areas, sectors/industries and regions to contribute to the comprehensive delivery of BLG’s services, tracking and reporting on all business development initiatives and outcomes, with a clear emphasis on revenue growth and profitability.
- Assist in the identification and recommendation of strategic business development opportunities for designated practices groups, working with relevant teams to execute successfully.
- In collaboration with the National Director, National Business Leader – L&E, and Pursuits Team, provide proactive and strategic input to Request for Proposal (RFP) submissions, to create a strong submission and increase chance of winning new work.
- Collaborate with C&M and Business Services colleagues to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, service delivery and continuous improvement.
- Support and manage systems and processes to track, measure and report on ROI results of C&M initiatives and key client events to Practice Group Heads, RMP, and NBLs.
- Follow up with the Practice Group Heads, NBLs, partners and associates to ensure measurable progress occurs, action plans are followed and are implemented and reporting and accountability are enhanced.
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
Degree in Business/Marketing/Communications
Minimum 4+ years’ experience at leadership level of which at least 3 years have been in a legal or professional services environment
Bilingual (English/French) capability is an asset
In-depth understanding of legal and business environments, especially the business model of the National Practice Group(s) and Client Service Team Leaders that the role will be supporting
Strong professional presence and conduct, able to work with Senior Management of the Firm
Strategic leader and thinker, with a proven ability to innovate
Strong time and project management skills, and ability to manage a variety of concurrent projects
Established knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and CRM
Team-oriented and a good communicator
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate, As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and if necessary implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.