Open Date August 20, 2021
Close Date September 3, 2021
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a: Specialist, Technology Operations and this position is available in any BLG office.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Director IT Technology Operations, the Technology Operations Specialist will be expected to have a broad technical knowledge covering IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, on premise infrastructure, implementation and operations. The Technology Operations Specialist is accountable for datacenter infrastructure design, and works with IT Technology Operations teams on research, design and implementation of IT Infrastructure services that are aligned with the business needs.
The Technology Operations Specialist supports the Firm’s initiatives through the delivery of services, tracking KPIs, managing vendor relationship and maintaining the required level of confidentiality, integrity and availability of our systems.
- Provide expertise and maintain knowledge on server, storage, backup, cloud and virtualization infrastructure
- Build, maintain, and support development, cloud and production environment in order to establish a highly available infrastructure
- Proactively monitor performance and availability of hardware, services, application, and cycle processes to ensure that all environments are highly available and perform as expected
- Install and configure hardware and system software to meet the requirements of project and infrastructure designs
- Document and maintain the final system configurations and installation procedures of the development/production/cloud environment in order to make sure the Systems Design Documents are current
- Perform regular technology currency updates, maintenance fixes, vendor supplied patches and other maintenance activities based on established procedures and standards required to support the IT infrastructure
- Define and perform server backups and recovery procedures when required
- Assist in the analysis and resolution of customer/project issues and inquiries, provide troubleshooting on hardware/software/network problems
- Respond to Help Desk tickets as appropriate (e.g. 2nd level support). Manage and execute daily service and support tickets as assigned.
- Perform operating system patches and software upgrades, and routine hardware configurations
- Obtain and maintain business relationships with key vendors to support the IT Infrastructure
- Maintain knowledge of a range of products and processes within the supported environments and identify opportunities for improving existing processes relating to the provisioning and maintenance of service in order to improve the customer service level and environment availability.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure server security
- Assist senior staff in day-to-day activities required to effectively manage and maintain the IT Infrastructure.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate documentation and reference materials.
- Support the review and recommendations for new technologies or for changes to existing technologies to enhance the Firm’s security posture.
- Support the Infrastructure Technology Operations Lead on related projects and initiatives
- Manage or act as a technical resource for infrastructure related tasks, for security related tasks, for projects and to assist with solving complex issues as requested
- Develop and maintain a positive team culture among team members and peers
- Work with IT Management, project managers and other team members on new initiatives to validate how the technology will function in the current environment without interference.
- Plan daily work routine to ensure that the team and Firm’s objectives and met
- Ensure proper escalations processes are followed for operations and projects
- Provide recommendations on process and technology changes to benefit the Business Practices and the IT departments.
- Recommend technical solutions to meet current and future business needs
- Support infrastructure upgrades and implementations related to relevant infrastructure
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years full-time relevant work experience
- Enterprise certifications such as:
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) or MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solution Specialist)
- VMWare/HyperV Certification
- IaaS/PaaS Cloud Certification (preferable Microsoft Azure)
- Enterprise backup certification such as CommVault
- Citrix Certification
- Supporting enterprise infrastructure in a tier 3 datacenter
- Experience managing Enterprise Backup (cloud and on premise)
- Strong skills managing Azure IaaS, PaaS and Saas infrastructure
- Experience with a broad scope of infrastructure, technology, tools, processes and procedures, as well as broader IT and relevant business issues.
- Ability to work with other technologists on complex, highly-visible and diverse infrastructure projects/issue.
- Experience in building and managing infrastructures and platforms that support systems/solutions which are highly secure, highly available and high performing
- Experience with CommVault Enterprise backup platforms
- Experience with HP DL class and Blade Center servers – installing, configuring and managing
- Expert at Enterprise Storage management (platform equivalent to HP 3PAR, HP Nimble, HP StoreOnce, NAS, Switched fabric, HBA configuration, iSCSI )
- Experience managing ORION SolarWinds platform
- Experience deploying and managing high-availability solutions (clustering, load balancing, auto-failover designs) and server virtualization
- Experience with internetworking components (Firewalls, Caching appliances, F5 Load Balancers, WAN Accelerators, HP VirtualConnect/Flex Fabric)
- Experience with WAN Architectures; Converged Data/Voice Communications Architectures
- Strong knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure / Thin Client Experience (Citrix Xenapp)
- Fluent managing all Windows Server platforms
- Fluent managing security updates through SCCM/WSUS
- Experience working within an IT Service Management environment
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.