Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Account Manager, Legal Operations.
Purpose of the Role
The Account Manager, Legal Operations reports to the Director, Legal Operations and is a member of the Legal Operations team responsible for supporting key client accounts/large complex matters by driving Legal Project Management (LPM) and commercial excellence best practices. The Legal Operations team also supports key matter life cycle (MLC) continuous improvement initiatives across the Firm.
As an integral member of the Legal Operations team, you will collaborate with Lawyers, Paraprofessionals and Legal Support Services as well as other Business Services departments (Risk, Proposals, Pricing, Business Development, Finance etc.) ensuring that we are achieving seamless, timely and exceptional legal service delivery to BLG’s clients.
In this role you will be part of a growing, creative and multi-disciplinary team where you will learn the ins and outs of BLG’s business processes and have opportunity for professional development and career growth. To be successful in this role you will be a team player and self-starter with a strong interest in business processes and matter management principles along with a continuous improvement mind-set. The role can be located in any of BLG’s regional offices.
Commercial Excellence Support
- Provide matter specific Legal Project Management (LPM) guidance and support to our Lawyers, Paraprofessionals and Legal Support Services, including but not limited to, scope and budget management.
- Provide support to the Senior Account Managers, Legal Operations, on key client account portfolios and relationship management.
- Enter and/or monitor matter budgets in BLG’s budget management tool.
- Provide support in coordinating and delivering the LPM training programs for paraprofessionals and other legal professionals.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in BLG’s matter and commercial management systems, processes, and workflows.
- Implement and provide support on processes and templates that will drive commercial excellence.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within the Matter Life Cycle (from intake through to billing) and support the development and implementation of innovative solutions.
- Remain current with relevant legal operations trends to ensure BLG is at the forefront of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Post-secondary education in Legal, Commerce, or related fields.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Professional Services Firms (law firm and/or financial services firm preferred).
- LPM Certification is an asset.
- Experience with LPM activities such as matter plans, scoping and budgets is an asset.
- Strategic, nimble thinker who combines excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to engage different stakeholders, including Lawyers, Paraprofessionals, Legal Support Services and our external clients.
- Enjoys experimenting with new ideas, takes an innovative lens on their work and utilizes technology to drive efficiency.
- Takes pride in being highly organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve.
- Enjoys working independently on quick turnaround projects, and as part of a larger team to ideate strategies and develop agile solutions.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills using MS Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint required.
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire, engage and empower others.
- Highly professional, and approaches role with high level of discretion and judgement.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration