The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Technician, Library Collections and Procurement.
Purpose of the Role
As a member of the BLG Library’s national Collections and Procurement Team, the Technician, Library Collections and Procurement is responsible for the day-to-day operational and technical procedures related to the Library’s print and digital collection in the Vancouver office. The Technician also assists the national Library Research and Alerts team by providing frontline research services, fulfilling basic reference requests, as required.
The primary job functions for this role are:
- Acquisitions and serials control
- Cataloguing and classification
- Database user profile creation and maintenance
- Library systems upkeep (Enterprise and Onelog)
- General maintenance of the library premises and collections
- Basic reference and research support
This role conducts work in collaboration with other members of the team in building national best practices for the Collections and Procurement function, and participates in initiatives to help further the Library model.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Fields resource request orders from Library users
- Submits orders and tracks orders
- Oversees cataloguing and record keeping
- Identifies issues and liaises with vendors
- Processes mail
- Checks in new materials to the library catalogue system: serials, loose-leaf releases, books
- Tracks, orders and distributes print consolidations to lawyers
- E-routes materials
- Files looseleaf updates
- Receives and processes invoices for payment
- Maintains record keeping systems for library invoices, as required
- Reconciles disbursements, as required
Library Systems and Processes
- Acts as local administrator for the library catalogue system (Enterprise)
- Acts as local administrator for Onelog, the Library’s electronic resource management system
- Acts as content coordinator; maintains and updates library content and pages on Firm intranet
- Assists in the evaluation of Library research and workflow solutions
Maintenance of the library premises and collections
- Maintains the book circulation system (OPAC)
- Shelves books and maintains the physical Library space
- Works closely with other teams members on weeding initiatives
- Manages binding and book repairs
Reference and Alert Services
- Obtains information for lawyers, professionals and support staff via inter-library loan and document delivery services
- Performs basic reference service to support client work; provides answers to directional and basic reference requests from library users
- Provides user support and instruction on library catalogue use
- Assists users in accessing other digital Library resources and technologies available at the Firm
- Logs research and other productive time in the Library's research tracking and knowledge base system
- Assists with current awareness alert and monitoring services, as required
- Library technician diploma or equivalent
- Highly-developed interpersonal, communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with people at all levels
- Strong customer service orientation
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Knowledge of legal research resources, including LexisNexis Advance Quicklaw, and WestlawNextCanda, an asset
- Strong teamwork skills with ability to work with geographically diverse users and colleagues
- Flexible and able to effectively manage multiple priorities, tasks and make judgment decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; with strong attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage a variety of concurrent projects
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate. As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and, if necessary, implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.