Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Data Analyst - Data Management and Analytics.
The vision of the Data Management and Analytics Department is to use enhanced analytics and technology for better client and business outcomes by centralizing reporting, improving the quality and reliability of our data, and leveraging the data to proactively deliver insights to the Firm and its clients and assist in their decision making.
Purpose of Role
The Data Analyst - Data Management and Analytics will report to the Manager, Data Analytics and will contribute to the development and execution of plans, policies, and practices that control, protect, deliver and enhance the value of BLG’s data and information assets.
This role will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of enterprise data strategy, initiation and successful execution of strategic data management projects and continuous improvement initiatives.
The Data Analyst will be responsible for maintaining data definitions, establishing data quality standards, monitoring compliance to those standards, improving data quality, assist in the development of master/reference data and business intelligence/analytical solutions.
The role will contribute to the execution of enterprise wide data governance framework, with a focus on data quality and the protection of sensitive data through creation of appropriate organization policies, standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture.
The incumbent will be required to work with diverse stakeholders/data owners to understand current and future data needs and work with the Manager, Data Analytics along with the Data Management and Analytics team to assist with the development of roadmaps (tactical and strategic).
- Assist with implementing a data management and governance framework aligned with BLG’s business objectives.
- Assist with the implementation of data catalog solution, to hold firm-wide technical metadata and data glossary
- Assist with the historical data quality/cleanup initiatives and develop rules to validate the data across different enterprise systems.
- Work with sponsors and stakeholders to implement processes, policies, firm-wide business data definitions, data quality rules, domains, validation and resolution policies and method that will support a successful data management program.
- Implement master/reference data management standards, enforce data governance procedures and ensure data integrity across multiple platforms to ensure proper use of data.
- Establish monitoring and reporting processes to ensure high standards of data quality and conformance with data policies, procedures and standards.
- Develop indicators of performance, quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities.
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise data sources, including authoritative systems and owners.
- Provide recommendations on the development of data management policies, procedures and standards to ensure best practices of data management. Assist with the formulation of new guidance and standards. Analyze business processes and identify data and information requirements (i.e. what information the business process requires, produces, collects and stores; who needs access to it; for what purpose and for how long). Recommend improvements in business processes as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear data ownership and stewardship of the Firm’s data assets.
- Participate in Data Governance Council meetings, comprising of Data Owners, communicate decisions, plans, goals and strategies related to enterprise data.
- Coordinate with data stewards and data owners across the enterprise to address data quality issues.
- Collaborate with centralized analytics team to deliver business intelligence solutions.
- Maintain best practice guidelines and standards for data, metadata, data modelling, and management.
- Investigate tools and technologies to assist with data management and dissemination, such as data warehouse and analytics tools, data integration tools, data quality and profiling tools, outlining risks, costs, benefits, and capabilities.
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the data quality scorecards.
- Other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the Manager, Data Analytics.
- Experience implementing best practices, adoption methodologies and standards with regard to Data Quality, Data Governance, Data Structure, Data Architecture, and Data Security.
- Knowledgeable in data profiling, root cause analysis, and quality improvement.
- Knowledge of DAMA framework and Informatica suite of tools is an asset.
- Well versed in the following data domains: Master/Reference Data, Operational Data, Analytical Data, Unstructured Data, and Metadata.
- Solid understanding of transactional and information systems, data warehouses, data marts, MDM methodologies and life cycles.
- Hands-on experience with data analysis, quality, cleaning and extraction / validation tools.
- Strong proficiency with SQL-based languages. Ability to write and troubleshoot complex SQL queries.
- Hands-on experience with implementation of a data catalog/dictionary.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Data Management design principles, concepts and implementing data-centric solutions.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with BI methodology and technologies.
- Ability to translate user requirements into technical specifications and systems.
- Understanding IT architecture discipline, processes, concepts, and best practices.
- Excellent proficiency with English verbal and written communication skills in order to document strategies, standards, and concepts to both business and IT audiences. French language proficiency is an asset.
- Good understanding of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS development and deployment models.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy and present complex information in a simplified way to various audiences.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced work environments, manage, and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently and on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and follow through with important projects.
- Ability to problem-solve with a track record of producing results.
- Exceptional time management skills and attention to detail.
- Eager to learn from others and help others grow with you.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.