Open Date: October 4, 2021
Close Date: October 15, 2021
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a Specialist, Intake and Conflicts.
BLG Beyond is an alternative legal service platform that supports a suite of innovative services, which deliver value-added, cost-effective solutions for clients. BLG Beyond (Beyond) combines BLG’s proven expert advice with best practices and technology to deliver efficient, high-impact work to meet and exceed our clients’ needs in a constantly changing environment. BLG Beyond embraces innovation and agility and demonstrates a start-up mentality: fast, intense and purpose-driven.
We are a future-minded Firm delivering high-value advice and known for our unwavering commitment to innovation, diversity and inclusion, community involvement and talent development. Learn more about us at BLG Beyond.
Purpose of the Role
The Specialist, Intake and Conflicts will be expected to support a range of services including reporting conflict search results, opening new clients/matters, creating and maintaining confidentiality screens and completing the conflict steps necessary when professionals move to our Firm.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Perform conflict searches, analyze results and provide potential match data to professionals
- Review client/matter intake requests for compliance of firm protocols
- Perform new business conflict searches, analyze results and provide potential match data to professionals
- Review and recording of new engagement letters
- Review Know Your Client information
- Complete new business intake procedures
- Perform due diligence checks for new clients
- Perform ongoing maintenance of existing business (client name change, reopening, additional parties)
- Perform daily maintenance of relative information to the Conflict database
- Set up and maintain confidentiality screens
- Perform lateral hire on-boarding procedures for new professionals and staff
- Provide new employee orientation/training
- Provide support for new department technology, processes and policies
- Provide “on call” support for designated weeks (one week approximately every two months)
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years experience within the field
- Have a broad knowledge of the Key Responsibilities
- Able to support and articulate department responsibilities, processes, policies and technology
- Able to problem solve issues on their own in most instances, work independently and would require minimal supervision
- Support department Administrators
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.