The Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Administrative Assistant, Intellectual Property (12 month contract).
Purpose of the Role
The Administrative Assistant will perform all administrative and file management tasks requested by Patent Law Clerks, Agents, Practice Assistants (PAs) and other support functions. This includes file opening, copying, filing, archive management, scanning and completing general administrative duties as required.
The Administrative Assistant is accountable for establishing and maintaining an ongoing service based relationship with the team.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Administration and File Management
- Receive and process file management requests
- Create new files on the system
- Return or add documents to existing client electronic files
- Work with the practice management system to log and record documents
- Handle and administer closed electronic files as requested
- Undertake all file management and file housekeeping procedures to ensure electronic filing constantly up to date
- Understand, identify and process all principle documents within electronic files
- Process archive retrieval requests
- Maintain all work areas in a tidy and orderly manner
- Assist with KYC and conflict checking procedures in accordance with the firm’s procedures
- Conduct web searches re travel and other items as requested by team
- Any other duties as requested by the business
- Deal with any Patent Law Clerk, Patent Agent and Practice Assistant (PA) enquiries in a prompt and efficient manner
- Communicate and liaise with Patent Law Clerks, Patent Agents and PAs on electronic file management issues
- Consistently and appropriately update the team on progress where appropriate
- Work with team to offer assistance wherever possible
- Post-Secondary Law Clerk, Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma
- A minimum of 1 year administrative experience in an office environment ideally with exposure to, knowledge of and/or an interest in Intellectual Property law
- Superior written communication skills in English with excellent attention to detail
- Advanced technical skills, specifically in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook) and be committed to furthering their knowledge to remain up-to-date on current technology and best practices
- Ability to take initiative
- Flexible and enthusiastic self-starter
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Sound knowledge of support services
- A desire to continuously improve skills
- A strong focus on ensuring the highest levels of client service standards are delivered and maintained
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Effective June 27, 2022, BLG has suspended its current vaccine policy mandate, As the pandemic is not over, the safety of Firm members and the BLG community remains our top priority. Given the ever-evolving nature of the situation, we will continue to closely monitor health conditions and if necessary implement new measures to protect Firm members. While is it not a condition of employment, we would appreciate reviewing your most recent proof of vaccine if available.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.