Open Date: December 20,
Close Date: January 15, 2022
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) recently announced a suite of innovative services named BLG Beyond. BLG Beyond is seeking a Manager, Human Resources.
BLG Beyond is an alternative legal service platform that supports a suite of innovative services, which deliver value-added, cost-effective solutions for clients. BLG Beyond (Beyond) combines BLG’s proven expert advice with best practices and technology to deliver efficient, high-impact work to meet and exceed our clients’ needs in a constantly changing environment. BLG Beyond embraces innovation and agility and demonstrates a start-up mentality: fast, intense and purpose-driven.
We are a future-minded Firm delivering high-value advice and known for our unwavering commitment to innovation, diversity and inclusion, community involvement and talent development.
Learn more about us at BLG Beyond.
Purpose of Role
The Manager, Human Resources will work closely with BLG Beyond’s leadership team to support attracting, developing and retaining a high performing innovative team of Legal Professionals, Paraprofessionals, Legal Support and Business Services talent. The Manager, Talent is responsible to lead and/or contribute to recruitment, onboarding, engagement activities, employee relations, communications, processes and annual employee lifecycle events including performance management and compensation review in BLG Beyond with the support of the National Talent Services team.
The Manager, Human Resources can be a member of any BLG regional office. The candidate must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation with a “digital first” approach.
Everyone at BLG Beyond is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
- Work closely with the Director, Talent of BLG Beyond to provide Human Resources services to all Legal Professionals, Paraprofessionals and Business Services Members within BLG Beyond
- Lead recruitment efforts for Business Services roles
- Support recruitment efforts for Legal Professionals and Paraprofessionals, as appropriate
- Leverage professional networks, industry events and other channels to attract prospective BLG Beyond members
- Support the onboarding, development and engagement of BLG Beyond members
- Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders on employee relations, conflict resolution and performance improvement plans as required balancing risk mitigation and the employee experience
- In partnership with the National Talent Services Team participate in the administration of annual Lawyer, Paraprofessional and Business Services performance and salary review processes
- Collaborate with BLG Beyond’s leaders to ensure proactive workforce management planning to address leave coverage, inclusion & diversity, talent pipeline development and succession planning
- Work with BLG Beyond’s leadership to help design and engage members in BLG Beyond on organizational culture
- Assist with market research on Talent strategies, compensation, incentive programs and other identified initiatives
- Assist with researching and drafting HR policies and procedures as needed for BLG Beyond
- Support the management of projects as needed
- Identify and draft important communications related to Talent to be issued by BLG Beyond Leaders
- Assist with compiling necessary reporting on Talent for BLG Beyond
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of BLG and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable, discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator and team player, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG Beyond and have a high degree of emotional intelligence. The candidate must show an ability to roll up their sleeves, pitch in and get things done in a fast-paced and lean start-up organization. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Post-secondary education with a preferred focus in business and human resource management
- Minimum four years of demonstrated success in human resources management, preferably in professional services
- Experience in successfully leading and managing teams
- Strong internal client focus and strives for optimal client service and employee experience
- Strategic, nimble thinker who has the ability to engage different stakeholders on developing and executing plans
- Exceptionally open-minded and receptive to new ideas and suggestions
- Recognizes the value and possesses the ability to clearly articulate goals and expectations both verbally and written
- Proactive, highly adaptable, flexible and energetic
- Enjoys experimenting with new ideas, takes an innovative lens on their work and utilizes technology to drive efficiency
- Takes pride in being highly-organized and able to manage time efficiently, including prioritizing and re-prioritizing tasks as workloads evolve
- Ability to understand, filter and analyze data, including visualization tools, and present the information to support proposed strategic recommendations
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Enjoys working independently on quick turnaround projects, and as part of a larger team to ideate strategies and develop agile solutions
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire, engage and empower others
- Highly professional, and approaches role with high level of confidentiality and maturity
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.