Open Date December 30, 2020
Close Date January 22, 2021
The Montréal office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Analyst, Legal Research** - Contractual position, 6 months.
Purpose of the Role
The Analyst, Legal Research conducts in-depth research that supports client work, ultimately providing added value to legal professionals and their clients; and is responsible for providing training in legal research skills and resources.
The primary job functions for this role are:
- Reference and research services;
- Training and orientation;
- Proactive services to practice groups as a subject matter specialist;
- Curation and delivery of Library alerts
As a member of the Library Research Team, the Analyst, Legal Research works in collaboration with other members of the team in building national best practices for each of these functions and participates in initiatives to help further the Library model.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Perform in-depth and complex research to support client and firm work in Civil Law and Common Law, synthesizing results for efficient and effective use by lawyers and other staff
- Assist lawyers, professionals and support staff in conducting research using online, other resources and technologies available at the Firm
- Obtain information for lawyers, professionals and support staff via inter-library loan and document delivery services
- Share subject matter expertise
- To enhance the Research Team’s overall service delivery, track research and other productive tasks in the Library’s research management platform
- Train lawyers and students on research methods and techniques, including effective use of digital resources
- In collaboration with the research team, create and maintain electronic training materials
- Promote best practices in Civil Law research to Library Research Team
- Maintain and update Library content and pages on the Firm intranet
Library Research Team
- Bring innovative approach to building service delivery best practices, leveraging new technologies wherever possible
- Evaluate new digital resources to enhance user experience
- Participate in national projects and initiatives to help further the goals and objectives of the National Library Team.
- Provide timely and accurate case law and legislative alerts to lawyers and groups at the Firm.
- Provide regulatory compliance updates to clients and groups at the Firm as needed
Knowledge and Innovation
- Provide subject matter expertise to support Knowledge & Innovation initiatives
- Play an active role in the evaluation of library and workflow solutions
- Three to five years of experience in a law firm library setting, preferred
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies highly desired, or equivalent business experience
- Bachelor degree in Law, an asset
- Bilingual French and English (required)
- Proficient with leading edge research and information technologies (required)
- Collection development experience and knowledge of legal publishers, preferred
- Highly-developed interpersonal, communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with people at all levels
- Highly-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.