Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Director, Project Management Office.
Purpose of the Role
The Director, PMO leads the National PMO team and is responsible for team member development and performance as a highly functioning group supporting the Firm’s initiatives. Working with the Chief Administrative Officer and business leadership, the Director will drive strategic planning and maximized resource allocation, ensuring a standard of excellence is consistently delivered by a cohesive and integrated Project Management Office. All BLG projects will be controlled and implemented using a consistent framework that drives results and benefit realizations while managing risks effectively.
The Director, PMO is responsible for creating a strategic and successful Project Management Office. The incumbent will ensure the successful delivery and maximum return on all projects within the portfolio. This is a vital leadership role which must combine highly effective team nurturing and stakeholder management abilities with astute business acumen in addition to deftly managing the PMO portfolio from a scope, budget and demanding timelines perspective.
This is a National level role and the incumbent may be required to travel.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Exemplify best practices as a leader and mentor for a high performing team, ensuring each team member is provided with the optimal training and development opportunities that will fulfill their career growth aspirations
- Strategic responsibility to design and implement a project plan with specific business ROI targets which will take BLG to the next level
- Introduce a disciplined Agile methodology to the PMO and the Firm overall
- Liaise with lawyers and key Firm leadership to ensure the PMO understands business priorities, delivering high quality solutions and projects aligned with the Firm’s innovation strategy
- Oversight and proactive analysis to ensure the PMO Project Portfolio is successfully delivered within appropriate quality, timeline and budget requirements, in accordance with the Firm’s plan, objectives and program governance arrangements
- Define a consistent governance framework for the PMO which recognizes the needs of the Firm’s business and clients, while maintaining essential integrity
- Manage the volume and scope of change being introduced into the business
- Planning and guidance oversight for projects with consideration of inter-dependencies and risks to maximize resource utilization and management (PMO and Beyond), and increase benefits while decreasing risk
- Ensure appropriate issue resolutions, initiate actions and other management interventions when program gaps or risks are identified - manage exceptions, slippage and conflicting priorities in a timely manner
- Manage the project budgets on behalf of the CAO, track and monitor the expenditures and costs against benefits realized by program progress and report as required to the CAO, COO and NMC
- Leadership of communications and strong management strategies with stakeholders
- Degree in Project Management, Business Administration or a relevant field (Masters degree preferred)
- Project management certification (e.g. PMP) and full proficiency in project management best practices
- 10-15 years of senior and progressive program management experience preferably in a professional services environment, with in depth knowledge of techniques for program planning and governance
- Proven experience and strengths in Commercial Management and Project Management is essential
- Exceptional skills as a leader who combines critical thinking and judgment with empathetic and diplomatic communication – experience leading and nurturing exceptional working relationships in all interactions
- Demonstrated expertise as an effective stakeholder manager, able to facilitate change, resolve disputes, focus on end results and see the big picture
- Adept in facilitating meetings at executive level
- Strong knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures
- Adroit in handling ambiguity, relishes exacting timelines and competing demands
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.