The Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Law Clerk Coordinator – Corporate Commercial.
BLG’s Toronto Corporate Commercial team is looking for a resourceful and dynamic individual with a growth mindset that can help solve for today while building for the future.
Purpose of Role
You have the knowledge; now experience the momentum with BLG.
The Corporate Services Law Clerk Coordinator, as a member of the Toronto Corporate Services Law Clerk team, provides guidance and leadership to the Corporate Services Law Clerk team in the areas of workflow management, change management, talent management and process improvement. In addition to the non-billable coordinator requirements of this role, the incumbent will be expected to perform billable corporate law clerk transactions at a senior level.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, hone your legal mind and tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential. This is the firm where your passion, innovation, and drive for excellence can shine through.
In addition to performing senior corporate billable law clerk responsibilities for approximately 50% of your time;
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Acts as primary contact for the dissemination of information and decision-making in the law clerk team
- Acts as a resource to the law clerk team by providing guidance and leadership on addressing/resolving issues that arise in day-to-day workflow activities
- Negotiates the delegation of work with team members, assesses the impact on individual workloads
- Monitors law clerk team billables and supports law clerks in billing issues
- Reviews and recommends changes and development of procedures, checklists and other related tools
- Liaises with the Senior Coordinator, Paraprofessional Services – Corporate Capital Markets and the other regional Corporate Law Clerk Coordinators regarding projects and process changes to ensure best practices are followed nationally
- Participates in and coordinates the performance management process
- Identifies staffing requirements for the law clerk team; assists in recruiting and interviews of candidates for staffing and participates in the orientation and training of new team members
- Supports the growth and development of the individual law clerk through mentoring, coaching and participating in the creation and delivery of training seminars
- Community College Law Clerk Diploma (or equivalent)
- Have a minimum of 10 years of experience as a Corporate Commercial Law Clerk
- Supervisory skills training an asset
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player; soft skills training an asset
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Windows-based computer systems including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe
- Available to work overtime, when necessary
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
How to Apply*
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.