You have the knowledge, now experience the momentum with BLG. The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Paralegal –Commercial Real Estate.
Purpose of the Role
You will be a key member of the Commercial Real Estate Group legal team working closely with lawyers and legal support staff to provide the highest level of service to our clients on cutting edge real estate files, while having the opportunity to cultivate your skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, hone your legal mind and tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential. This is the firm where your passion, innovation, and drive for excellence can shine through.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Manage files and projects
- Title Searching: searching titles, reviewing documents and surveys; reviewing title and title deficiencies; preparing first applications into Land Titles; preparing title summaries and encumbrance lists
- Administering title search requests, off-title searching, requisitions and reports
- Execution and municipal searches, corporate and Personal Property Act searches
- Preparation of documentation relating to purchase, sale, leasing and financing transactions;
- Coordinating and assisting at closings
- Liaise with clients, counsel, financial institutions, title insurance companies, land registry offices
- Anticipate potential problem issues and bring to the attention of supervising lawyer
- Draft simple legal opinions and title opinions
- Attend closing of transactions and electronic registration of title documents
- Assist in transactions relating to zoning matters and land development
- Prepare and assemble closing books
- Attend to maintaining files and records in accordance with Firm procedures
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as a Real Estate Paralegal.
- A graduate of a recognized paralegal certificate or degree program or equivalent.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Windows-based computer systems including DocuSign, Closing Folders, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe.
- Be well organized with strong analytical skills and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
How to Apply*
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.