The Calgary office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Paralegal – Corporate Commercial.
Purpose of the Role
You have the knowledge; now experience the momentum with BLG.
You will be a key member of the Corporate Commercial Group working closely with our Corporate professionals and legal support staff to provide the highest level of service to our clients, while having the opportunity to cultivate your skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, hone your legal mind and tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential. This is the firm where your passion, innovation, and drive for excellence can shine through.
Key Responsibilities and Competencies
- The ideal candidate has a minimum of 8 years experience as a Corporate Paralegal and is a CORES III Accredited User. You will have solid knowledge of corporate legislation and experience with corporate documents in Alberta and other Canadian jurisdictions. Knowledge of tax reorganizations and/or not for profit entities is an asset.
- You will have a strong work ethic, possess a mind-set of continuous improvement, and are a self-starter in a fast-paced environment. Right from the start, you will:
- Draft documentation, including closing agendas, required in the context of various corporate transactions such as incorporations, organizations, amendment of charter documents, dividend declarations, continuances, liquidations and dissolutions;
- Draft documentation required in the context of other corporate transactions such as complex share conditions, merger and acquisition transactions;
- Review and analyze corporate charter documents and records to ensure compliance with governing statute and identify deficiencies;
- Support the Firm’s lawyers and clients with corporate and tax reorganizations and corporate restructuring transactions;
- Work as member of a collaborative team to mentor and share your corporate knowledge with students, associates and junior paralegals.
How to Apply*
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.