You have the knowledge, now experience the momentum with BLG. The Ottawa and Toronto offices of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Law Clerk and/or Title Searcher/Conveyancer – Commercial Real Estate.
Purpose of the Role
You will be a key member of the Commercial Real Estate Group legal team working closely with lawyers and legal support staff to provide the highest level of service to our clients on cutting edge real estate files, while having the opportunity to cultivate your skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, hone your legal mind and tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential. This is the firm where your passion, innovation, and drive for excellence can shine through.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Title Searching: searching titles, reviewing documents and survey
- Reviewing title and title deficiencies
- Oversee conversion of registry properties to Land Titles
- Prepare Applications for Absolute Title
- Conducting full title searches in Registry and Teraview electronic systems
- Anticipate potential title problems and issues and bring to the attention of supervising lawyer
- Assist in transactions relating to land development
- Have a minimum of 10 + years experience as a Real Estate Law Clerk and/or Title Searcher/Conveyancer
- Ability to plot metes and bounds legal descriptions
- Thorough knowledge of relevant real estate legislation
- A graduate of a recognized Law Clerk certificate or degree program or equivalent
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Windows-based computer systems
- Excellent knowledge of Teraview
- Be well organized with strong analytical skills and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
How to Apply*
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.