You have the knowledge, now experience the momentum with BLG. The Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Coordinator, Corporate Compliance (Law Clerk/Paraprofessional, Corporate Commercial Group).
BLG’s Toronto Corporate Commercial team is looking for a resourceful and dynamic individual with a growth mindset that can help solve for today while building for the future.
Purpose of the Role
You will be a key member of the Corporate Commercial team, a dynamic and innovative group of lawyers, paraprofessionals and legal support staff that is dedicated to providing the highest level of service to our clients within Canada’s premier full-service law firm. In this role you will leverage your skills to coordinate and organize the workflow of our corporate compliance paraprofessional team, identify opportunities to improve compliance processes and procedures and provide corporate compliance expertise for our paraprofessionals.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, working with a supportive team focused on providing you with meaningful opportunities to tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential.
Our Corporate Commercial team is a collaborative and cohesive group of passionate individuals that love working together. We look forward to welcoming an energetic, innovative individual to our collegial team. This is the firm where your drive for excellence can shine through.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Oversee and coordinate high-volume, high-transactional workflow of our corporate compliance team, including:
- Annual resolutions for Ontario and Federal corporations
- Ontario and cross-Canada registrations and annual filings
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to streamline and implement compliance processes and procedures
- Provide guidance, training and mentorship to law clerks in relation to corporate compliance
- Assisting with various special projects related to compliance and corporate governance
- Perform billable corporate compliance work 50 - 75% of your time
The key competencies of this role are:
- Law Clerk or Paralegal Diploma
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the area of transactional, corporate compliance work
- Knowledge of Corporate Database technology an asset
- Knowledge of document management systems (iManage knowledge an asset), Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Strong organizational skills in planning and prioritizing work, multi-tasking and attention to details
- Ability to succeed in a multi-disciplinary team with a collaborative and strategic mindset
- Adaptable to dynamic priorities and deadlines, to best serve our clients’ business goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A team player with a strong work ethic and a desire for continuous improvement
How to Apply*
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.