Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking for either our Toronto or Ottawa office a Law Clerk – Compliance Coordinator (Corporate Commercial Group)
Purpose of the Role
You will be a key member of a dynamic and innovative group of lawyers, clerks and legal support staff, providing the highest level of service to our clients, while having the opportunity to cultivate your skills as part of our successful national Corporate Commercial team, within Canada’s premier full-service law firm.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, working with a supportive team focused on providing you with meaningful opportunities to tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential.
Key Responsibilities and Skills
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Coordinate high-volume, high-transactional workflow of our corporate compliance team, including
- Annual resolutions for Ontario and Federal corporations
- Ontario and cross-Canada registrations and annual filings
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to streamline and implement compliance processes and procedures
- Provide guidance, training and mentorship to law clerks in relation to corporate compliance
- Assisting with various special projects related to compliance and corporate governance
- Perform billable corporate compliance work 50 - 75% of your time
What you will bring to this role:
- Law Clerk or Paralegal Diploma
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the area of transactional, corporate compliance work
- Knowledge of Corporate Database technology an asset
- Knowledge of document management systems (iManage knowledge an asset), Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Strong organizational skills in planning and prioritizing work, multi-tasking and attention to details
- Ability to succeed in a multi-disciplinary team with a collaborative and strategic mindset
- Adaptable to variable priorities and deadlines, to best serve our clients’ business goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A team player with a strong work ethic and a desire for continuous improvement
What does BLG have to offer you?
- Certification in Legal Project Management (LPM)
- Access to our market leading mentoring program
- A talent development framework that helps you develop your desired career path
- Exceptional workplace diversity and inclusiveness programs
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
How to Apply*
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.