Open Date: November 11, 2021
Close Date: December 10, 2021
You have the knowledge, now experience the momentum with BLG. Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Disputes Paralegal - Construction.
Purpose of the Role
You will be a key member of the Construction legal team working closely with lawyers and legal support staff to provide the highest level of service to our clients, while having the opportunity to cultivate your skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
Right from the start, you will have access to exceptional opportunities, hone your legal mind and tailor your career path in order to reach your full potential. This is the firm where your passion, innovation, and drive for excellence can shine through.
This position is open in our Vancouver or Calgary office.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- You will actively participate as a contributing member of the legal team to manage matters and provide excellent client service
- You will assist with identifying Paralegal tasks and proactively offering solutions to drive efficiencies in the Practice Group through utilization of the Paralegal role
- In addition to being responsible for daily file management, you will assist the Firm’s lawyers with performing land title searches, managing limitation periods, drafting and maintaining electronic briefs, document production and the questioning process, drafting other court documents and preparing for hearings and trials
- The work that you will do here is exciting and challenging and the circumstances are often demanding. Collaboration, teamwork and unwavering commitment to excellence are the order of the day, every day
- Knowledge and understanding of the British Columbia and Alberta Rules of Court and the litigation process required
- Community College or Legal Assistant Diploma is an asset
- Relevant working experience as a legal assistant or paralegal
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent ability to take direction and work independently
- Highly organized with time management skills
- Familiarity with Relativity an asset
- Knowledge of iManage, ACL, Kofax PDF, Adobe Pro, Word, Excel and Outlook
- A team player with a strong work ethic and a desire for continuous improvement
How to Apply*
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.