John’s practice focuses on commercial real estate and commercial law. He advises clients on real estate development, leasing, acquisition, divestiture and financing.He acts as principal outside legal counsel to parties active in the Québec real estate market who are based in and out-of-province. He also acts as counsel to a number of Canadian institutional lenders regarding commercial, retail and residential construction projects.
- Real property aspects of the acquisition of a Greek-controlled financial institution by a leading Canadian bank.
- Participation in establishment of a realty fund by a major real estate investment and management organization.
- Acquisition of a regional shopping mall and office space by a Canadian-based private equity fund.
- Acquisition by the New York City-based Centurian Group, together with Canadian and foreign partners, of interests in a number of major Montréal real estate complexes and ongoing representation of the group and its partners.
- For many years, principal external real estate counsel in the province of Québec of McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Limited.
- Advising in connection with the establishment in Québec of The Brick Real Estate Corporation.
- Advising and organizing the legal work in connection with the Québec mortgage loan origination work of conduit lenders, including Merrill Lynch, TD, Royal Bank of Canada, Credit Suisse and First National.
- Acting in connection with the general commercial and real estate-related matters in respect of the activities of a participant in the Alouette aluminium smelter in Sept-Îles, Québec.
- Advising a German institutional lender on the financing of the office component of the Place Bonaventure and the Central Station complexes in Montréal.
- Lender counsel to a number of Canadian institutional lenders in respect of commercial, retail and residential construction projects.
Beyond our Walls
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2021 edition (and since 2006) of Best Lawyers in Canada® (Real Estate Law)
- Recognized in the 2019 edition (and since 2013) of Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Property Development, Property Leasing)
Bar Admission & Education
- Québec, 1982
- BCL/LLB, McGill University, 1981
- MA, University of Ottawa, 1977
- BA, McGill University, 1976