The Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Coordinator, Events.
Purpose of the Role
The Coordinator, Events will be expected to proactively and expertly support the Firm’s business development goals and objectives through planning, development and flawless implementation of strategic events for our clients and prospective clients including: seminars, conferences, sponsorships, receptions, virtual events and unique branded external experiences. The incumbent is a critical member of the Firm’s National Events Team and is responsible for contributing to increasing the Firm’s profile and helping to build relationships with clients. This role will also support key internal initiatives as determined by the Senior Manager, Events.
- Together with the Senior Manager, Events ensure all events are in keeping with Firm brand, and business development goals and objectives, while ensuring best-in-class event execution and management
- Support Lawyers/Agents, Firm Leadership, Marketing & Communications and Business Development by collaborating to set strategies for events that meet key business development objectives and capitalize on relevant opportunities
- Collaborate closely with key stakeholders to ensure all initiatives are executed flawlessly, on time and on budget
- Develop project plans including budgets, approvals, key dates and milestones with lawyers and BDPGL’s to ensure deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Manage all event logistics for in-person and virtual events including invitations, mailing lists, handout materials, site management, speakers, visual presentations and follow-up efforts
- Negotiate and manage facility arrangements for room set-up, technical (AV) assistance and catering, working closely with IT, Office Services, other internal services teams and third party vendors
- Oversee delivery of all items needed for registration, including name tags and handout materials
- Coordinate the production and set-up of visual presentations
- Track event metrics and ROI for reporting and analysis post event
- Produce seminar and special event follow-up materials, such as final attendance reports, budget summaries, and post-event reports. Maintain master database of all events for annual reporting
- Build strong relationships with events colleagues in the Firm’s other offices for purposes of sharing best practices
- Act as a subject matter expert on the Firm’s CASL policies and compliance
- Ensure the Events section of the Firm’s website is continually up to date
- Manage and maintain the Calendar of Events for purposes of sharing internally to promote cross-practice involvement and internal engagement
- Manage relationships with external vendors and continually curate potential vendors and venues
- Proactively contribute to proposing new and unique event experiences
- Manage virtual events and in-person events and provide support for the firm’s virtual events nationally
- Proactively propose new and unique event ideas and experiences to support Firm strategy
- Other Marketing, Communications and Event related duties as required
- Support the Senior Manager, Events with reporting and special projects
- Reconcile department Visa statement
- Assist with the firm’s promotional items (web store inventory, local office inventory)
- The role will require the incumbent to work from the Ottawa office on a regular basis and will be required to work overtime for events outside of standard office hours
- A university degree or college diploma in marketing, event management, business administration, or communications. Certification (or working towards) in special events, meeting planning (CPM), or project management (PMP) would be considered an asset
- A minimum of four years of relevant experience in corporate event planning within a large organization, ideally in a professional services or legal environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English with an exceptional eye for detail including writing, proofreading and general quality control. French would be considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and a commitment to furthering their knowledge to remain up-to-date on current technology and best practices is mandatory. Prior experience using a CRM system, SharePoint sites and Dynamics360 (or similar event management software) is strongly preferred
- Strong technology skills including webinar platforms, virtual program development and hybrid event knowledge; experience using WebEx, Zoom, Teams, Remo is an asset
- Has a process-driven, highly organized and exceptionally professional approach. Proactive with the ability to communicate and easily gain the trust of diverse stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop and execute a wide range of events for senior executive audiences, with a reputation for delivering “best in class” and differentiated events
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of event best practices including project planning and fiscal accountability
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic about events management to achieve business objectives with excellent client service orientation and negotiation skills
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple time sensitive projects with minimal supervision
- A team player with excellent judgment, resourcefulness, flexibility and creativity who has the ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Strong record of achievements and the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines, and manage multiple projects with conflicting priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrixed management environment
- Availability to work overtime, when necessary
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all firm members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.
* Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.