Open Date: September 22, 2021
Close Date: October 6, 2021
The Calgary office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking an Administrative Assistant (Six Month Contract).
Purpose of the Role
The Administrative Assistant will perform all administrative and file management tasks requested by Lawyers, PAs and other support functions in the Commercial Real Estate and Financial Services Groups. This includes file opening, copying, filing, archive management, scanning and completing general administrative duties as required.
Filing, copying, scanning and general administration is an integral part of the operation of the firm and within this role the Administrative Assistant will be required to complete duties for extended periods of time during each day.
The Administrative Assistant is accountable for establishing and maintaining an ongoing service based relationship with the team.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
Administration and File Management
- Undertake large and small copying requests, scanning, binding and finishing copied work (working with the Business Centre as applicable)
- Receive and process file management requests
- Create new files in the system and undertake all file closing procedures
- Open new file folders and label accordingly
- Work with the practice management system to log and record documents
- Undertake all file management (return or add documents) and file housekeeping procedures to ensure existing client files are constantly up to date
- Understand, identify and process all principle documents within files
- Process archive retrieval requests
- Maintain all filing and work areas in a tidy and orderly manner
- Assist with Know Your Client (“KYC”) and conflict checking procedures in accordance with the firm’s procedures
- Conduct searches as requested
- Keep a record of time spent on various administrative tasks for internal purposes
- Any other duties as requested by the business
- Deal with any Lawyer and/or LSS member enquiries in a prompt and efficient manner
- Communicate and liaise with requestor on file management issues
- Consistently and appropriately update the team on progress where appropriate
- Work with team to offer assistance wherever possible
- Established knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and CRM
- Post-Secondary diploma in Administration, an asset
- Ability to take initiative
- Flexible and enthusiastic self-starter
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Sound knowledge of support services
- A desire to continuously improve skills
- A strong focus on ensuring the highest levels of client service standards are delivered and maintained
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG, only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.