Open Date: September 21, 2021
Close Date: October 8, 2021
The Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG), a leading, innovative and client-focused law firm in Canada, is seeking a Coordinator, Human Resources (6 month contract).
Purpose of the Role
As a member of the National Talent Services, provides analytical, technical & administrative support in relation to Talent management processes, data and documents for all Firm members across all locations. In addition, support both National Talent Services and regional Talent teams with our Workday implementation with regards to handling inquiries from direct team members and end users.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
The Coordinator, Human Resources will provide HR Administrative support to regional Talent teams. In addition, they will provide day-to-day support to the local office in which they are located, as required.
- Update absence data on HRIS system
- Send communications to employees and managers explaining the relevant policies and confirming entitlement if required
- Send and receive any required forms from employees
- Create required letters or documents for certain leave types, e.g. maternity memo, secondment letters
- File document, e.g. medical
- Liaise with payroll and benefits where required
- Vacation tracking to reduce carry over & pay out
- Payroll Adjustments and Compliance reports:
- Run report to provide adjusted calculations to payroll
- Contract Expiry report generation
- Compliance course tracking & follow up
- Expired SIN/VISA tracking and follow up
Termination and Off boarding:
- Update termination data on Talent system and other off boarding systems
- Coordinate Exit interview process and create summary of feedback on a monthly basis to be shared and actioned
- Send Leaving BLG memo
- File exit interview note and update exit interview data on HR system
- Create termination letters based on template if required and update info of termination meetings
- Provide payroll and benefits of any final payments
Personal data Changes and Employee Files:
- Update data on HR system
- Create and file transfer letters and/or job change memos if required (based on template)
- Update other corporate systems to ensure transferred employee is on boarded and off boarded in local offices (e.g. new location ID, etc.)
- Initiate email notification from systems to employees and professionals for 3/6 and annual review reminders
- Trigger reminder email of outstanding reviewers
- Generate progress reports to Regional Talent Managers to follow up
- Prepare annual review packages for professionals and employees for annual career conversation
- 3/6 Month probation check ins
Compensation and Bonus Review:
- Update new salary data on HR systems
- Create salary letters for Regional Talent Managers
- Maintain and update bonus calculation tracker if required
- Update bonus data on HR systems
- Create bonus letters for Regional Talent Managers
- Maintain and create contents of the Talent Portal
- Upload and ensure documents, policies and forms up to date
- Respond to Firm members’ queries on Talent matters, reference to documents and information available
- Escalate cases to Talent Managers or members of the COE if required
- Manage queries to ensure responses are provided with agreed timeframe
- May act as the representative of National Talent Services at meetings as appropriate, providing regular communications to Directors and key stakeholders
- Any other projects as assigned
- Capture and track in coming work on SharePoint or similar system to build a database that can be used to support future talent planning and focus areas.
- Participate in process improvement and talent technology design/testing
- Support maintenance of future talent systems and perform simple configuration and approved template changes
- 2 to 3 years of pertinent experience
- Good knowledge of Human Resources management processes
- Proficiency in MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe
- Working knowledge of HRIS software
- Bilingualism (French and English), oral and written, is required
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with people at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills
- Ability to produce thorough and accurate work
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion
- Strong client service orientation
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- HR designation considered an asset
- Workday experience an asset
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
At BLG only those BLG members who are fully vaccinated against COVD-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada will be permitted to attend a BLG office or event. “Fully vaccinated” means having received the full series (usually 2 doses) of a vaccine approved by Health Canada, with more than 14 days having passed since the second dose was administered. “Attending a BLG office” includes attending social or business gatherings organized by the Firm, with limits on the number of attendees in accordance with public health guidelines. With respect to client meetings, only fully vaccinated members of the Firm can meet in person with clients (others can attend virtually), unless prior authorization has been obtained from BLG and the client. For any BLG member who is not fully vaccinated, and if the Firm requires your attendance in the office to perform your role, you must take a rapid antigen test conducted within the 24 hours prior to your coming to the office, and you must show proof of a negative test result. A new test is required for each day you are physically in the office. Accommodations will be made for valid medical and religious reasons.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.