Open Date: November 11, 2021
Close Date: December 3, 2021
The Vancouver office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (BLG) is seeking a Practice Assistant, Commercial Real Estate.
Purpose of the Role
The Practice Assistant will be expected to act as a workflow coordinator for other support services including delegating and reviewing the completion of document production, file management, copying/scanning work and other administrative work. The Practice Assistants will take an active interest in, and obtain a thorough understanding of, all aspects of client requirements to provide exceptional service levels to the lawyers and our clients.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Manage calendars, ensuring they are up to date and reminding lawyers of meetings etc. on a daily basis
- Arrange meetings, book conference rooms, refreshments, check rooms prior to meetings etc. and liaise with other attendees, both internal and external
- Arrange for travel bookings and related details to be made through the support teams
- Arrange photocopying, printing, organizing couriers, sending out of letters, faxes etc.
- Arrange for files to be opened and closed, supervise general filing requirements and record keeping
- Coordinate/conduct conflict searches with the assistance of the Administrative Assistant
- Use effective systems to ensure that both short and long term tasks are completed within required timescales
- Support lawyers in marketing activities including involvement in preparation of pitches and presentations
- Take internal and external telephone queries, responding as appropriate and/or ensuring that all messages are passed on in a timely manner
- Monitor mail and/or e-mails and dealing with as appropriate and ensure that all client related correspondence is passed on to an appropriate lawyer if the relevant person is out of the office
- Liaise with administrative support departments on behalf of lawyers as required
- Liaise with the department’s Team Leader over any planned absences, arranging cover as necessary and communicating this to the relevant lawyers.
Client relationship management
- Take an active role in the care of clients and be wholly familiar with contacts/clients
- Enter, maintain and update client details and relevant information in the Firm’s CRM contacts system
- Deal with basic client queries and general administration
- Arrange client meetings
- Check correspondence, attachments, documents, reports, presentations, faxes etc. produced by the Document Production team before they are passed to the relevant lawyer and undertake basic/minor amendments where appropriate
- Type urgent/short/confidential correspondence and emails
- Produce and maintain Excel spreadsheets as required
Financial - Billing
- Assist lawyers and Practice Group Billing Coordinator in the billing and credit control process by liaising with the lawyer and accounts and to produce standard prebill financial/time reports through the system
- Send bills to clients, with appropriate covering documents
- Request cheques, bank transfers and paying in money received, as appropriate
Other duties and responsibilities
- In addition to providing support to the lawyer(s) to whom they report, a Practice Assistant will also provide assistance to their immediate colleagues in the department and, where practical, other departments
- Team duties will therefore include:
- Assisting other members of the firm, both proactively and at the request of the Team Leader
- Any other duties as requested by the Lawyers or Team Leader
- 1 – 3 years of Legal Administrative Assistant experience;
- Experience within Commercial Real Estate
- Knowledge of law firm practices and procedures;
- Accurate typing speed of approximately 60 words per minute;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, research tools and other systems implemented by the firm;
- Knowledge of iManage considered an asset;
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with clients and lawyers;
- Ability to interact professionally with clients and all members of the firm;
- Excellent telephone manner and competent knowledge of telephone system
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills;
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- Able to set priorities while maintaining flexibility;
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and partners are not eligible for consideration.