David’s practice focuses on intellectual property and regulatory law specific to the Canadian cannabis industry. His clients include:
- licensed producers
- pre-license entities
- technology companies and other domestic and foreign participants in the Canadian cannabis industry
He provides advice on the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and its regulations, including the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) and the Narcotic Control Regulations (NCR).
David assists industry stakeholders prepare for changes under Bill C-45 and amendments to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Criminal Code and other acts.
David’s intellectual property practice and experience includes:
- drafting and prosecuting patent applications
- assessing patentability of technology
- validity of patents
- infringement of patents
- patent-related due diligence
- multi-jurisdictional patent portfolio management
He has experience with chemical, biochemical and mechanical technologies relating to cannabis, medical devices, imaging, oil & gas, and other industries.
David’s comprehensive education in chemistry provides a strong technical background for advising clients in the Canadian cannabis industry on intellectual property and regulatory law.
He is co-chair of the BLG’s Cannabis Industry Focus Group.