Laurie represents both employers and executives in labour and employment law matters under both federal and provincial jurisdiction.
Her areas of expertise include:
- labour board hearings
- labour arbitrations
- collective agreement negotiations
- wrongful dismissal litigation
- workplace investigations, reporting, policy drafting and training for:
- accident/ OHS (safety)
- workplace misconduct
- sexual harassment
- employment standard
- drug and alcohol
- human rights
- workplace privacy
- workers' compensation
- Short Term and Long Term Disability management
- employment benefits
- hiring and firing
- employment/executive contract drafting and negotiations
- human resources policy and procedure drafting
- workplace training
Laurie has experience before the Federal Court of Canada and Federal Court of Appeal, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench and Alberta Court of Appeal, Canada Industrial Relations Board, Alberta Labour Relations Board and Saskatchewan Labour Relations Board, as well as before the Provincial Court on OHS/workplace safety matters.
She has conducted matters under the Canadian Human Rights Act and Alberta Human Rights Act. Laurie has also been an arbitrator for Canada Labour Code unjust dismissal and wage recovery complaints.